starting strength gym

Thread: shocked how little fat I am getting!

Default shocked how little fat I am getting!

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi everyone,
    I'm male, 6ft, 170lbs, 30 years old.
    I've joined here specifically to ask this, I've always blindly assumed my fat intake is ok, it turns out it isn't, I'm averaging a pathetic amount of 28g/day! I'm correcting this straight away, and it's no bother at all replacing some of the carbs -which I'm getting more than enough of with lots of nuts and a little cheese.
    Of course my gut instinct is just to ramp this up quick, is there any issue to doing this or should I gradually increase over a few days or even weeks?

Now I'm aware of this I am truly shocked, I think its after living through the whole 90's phase of "low fat" its easy just to assume that there's too much of this stuff around and you don't need to make an effort- no one to blame but myself anyway.

What alarms me most (and is the reason I appear so cautious about correcting this instantly) is because of the side effects of NOT having a good intake of dietary fat - I've suffered anxiety, depression and varying skin issues since my mid teens (now I'm 30), I'm on anti depressants and have had two doses of therapy in my time too- now I'm concerned this is to do in part at least with fat intake, which would be fantastic if it as because it's a lot more fun eating walnuts than antidepressants. I guess the reason I'm cautious about ramping the fat straight up is it may temporarily effect my mental health negatively before it makes a positive change? With medication they always have a brief negative effect and are gradually increased so maybe with fat I should do the same to avoid any rapid changes to my hormonal levels?

Any advice is appreciated, I'm upping it to 40g to day while I wait for replies.

Your fat intake is much higher than 28g/day.

Quote Originally Posted by map84 View Post
    I think its after living through the whole 90's phase of "low fat" its easy just to assume that there's too much of this stuff around and you don't need to make an effort- no one to blame but myself anyway.
    Been there and done that! I now average 80-100g of fat per day with sunflower seeds (my snack of choice), more cooking with olive oil, and more read meat and butter (other taboos from the 80's and 90's). I also take ~5g of fish oil and eat wild caught salmon pan fried in olive oil ~2X per week.

It irritates me that it's 2015 and the medical community (apologies in advance to Jordan) is still split on some (many?) of these issues.

Two pounds of raw skinless, boneless chicken breast has 23.74 g of fat, do you eat less than that a day?

Quote Originally Posted by map84 View Post
    I'm averaging a pathetic amount of 28g/day!
    How are you measuring your intake?