starting strength gym

Thread: Am I over-fat, or just under-muscled?

Default Am I over-fat, or just under-muscled?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Sex: Male
    Height: 5'10
    Body fat estimate: 20-25%
    Waist: 37 inches

Current weights;
    Squat: 104 kgs 3x5
    Bench: 66 kgs 3x5
    Press: 44 kgs 3x5
    Deadlift: 128kgs 1x5
    Chins: BW plus 4 kgs 3x5

Conditioning: twice a week on off days, prowler, 20 secs work, 2 minutes rest, 7 rounds
    Current body weight: 79 kgs

Calories 2300
    67g fat
    232g carbs
    210g protein

Hey Jordan,
    I’ve been on the novice program for about a month now but I’m confused about how I should be eating. Because of the fat around my belly I’ve been eating like the fluffy novice from the to be a beast article. Despite the fat around my midsection the rest of my body looks quite lean. Now I’m not sure if this means I’m skinny fat as googling the term seems to give a few different opinions on what it means, or if I’m just under muscled, which I’ve seen you tell a couple of posters here when skinny-fat is mentioned. I figured a picture would be helpful:
    https://gm1.ggpht.com/HqGb7J9YCu4Jdr...92-h762-l75-ft

Do you think I’m just not carrying enough muscle right now and should start gaining weight by aiming to put on 1-2kgs a month, as you recommended a novice in this post? http://startingstrength.com/resource...p/t-45513.html

Or am I carrying a bit too much fat right now and should stay the course and keep eating like the fluffy novice?

The picture doesn't work on my end, but from your stats- it looks to me like your undermuscled while carrying some central adiposity. I'd hazard a guess that being consistent with the training and food for another 3-4 months will pay dividends.

Whoops, let me try again with the image:
    [IMG][/IMG]

Just to clarify, would this mean being consistent with how I am currently eating, or should I be trying to gain weight if I'm just under-muscled?

Yea looks like you're under-muscled but not very lean either. I would gain weight slowly over time and train like a madman. It's going to take time, but you'll get there.

Awesome, cheers Dr GainzZz!