starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: gaining strength without gaining weight

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Don't forget, I pushed my weight up to nearly 230lbs when I was an early intermediate. Weight gain is important. I don't really have rules for gaining weight, but in general, most intermediates who are not strictly limited to a weight class in a sport that pays them a lot of money should probably gain weight for 12-16 weeks at a time 2-3x per year until they're an advanced athlete/have a sport that is a weight class sport that pays them money/have decreased motivation to gain weight regardless of strength (that's where I'm at currently). I'd be stronger at 231 and stronger still at 264, but I don't care enough to do that to myself.
    It's funny, this is just about exactly the way I feel about losing weight. With give or take a year's time and a very strictly followed proper nutritional strategy, I could probably be lifting roughly the same numbers as now at a weight close enough to cut to 231 for a meet. But since it doesn't and wouldn't pay me any/enough money to do so, I just like to eat and not worry about it because that's what I enjoy more than having ze abzors.

Caring is hard in powerlifting, at times.

Caring is hard in powerlifting, at times.
    Indeed my friend. I care deeply about training and getting stronger. I have to really try hard against my will to care about making myself be an arbitrarily decided weight two hours before I lift. Especially when there's little financial incentive involved even if I were to become one of the best in the world, which is highly unlikely.
    Last edited by Michael Wolf; 09-02-2015 at 11:47 AM. Reason: teh grammarz

should probably gain weight for 12-16 weeks at a time 2-3x per year until they're an advanced athlete
    How do you think they should eat between those periods? To maintain? To lose fat?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    It's funny, this is just about exactly the way I feel about losing weight. With give or take a year's time and a very strictly followed proper nutritional strategy, I could probably be lifting roughly the same numbers as now at a weight close enough to cut to 231 for a meet. But since it doesn't and wouldn't pay me any/enough money to do so, I just like to eat and not worry about it because that's what I enjoy more than having ze abzors.
    I'll say it again: when I grow up I want to be Michael Wolf

Quote Originally Posted by rashid29 View Post
    How do you think they should eat between those periods? To maintain? To lose fat?
    Depends on their body composition, sport (if applicable), and goals.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Wolf View Post
    ... and you like pancakes.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Horn View Post
    ... and you like pancakes.
    You don't like pancakes??

You don't like pancakes??
    I don't like pancakes. Weird for a fat guy

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by RugbySmartarse View Post
    I don't like pancakes. Weird for a fat guy
    So weird.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast