starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: gaining strength without gaining weight

Default gaining strength without gaining weight

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Thought I would ask this here but in your opinion if somebody is happy with their weight and body composition are they at that point limited for the most part to eating and thus lifting for maintenance or have you found that people can actually make strength gains despite not getting bigger?

Depends on the person's level of training, but most people can get stronger over time if programming is correct and their body weight is not inhibiting recovery too a degree that affects the person getting in the necessary training stimulus.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Thought I would ask this here but in your opinion if somebody is happy with their weight and body composition are they at that point limited for the most part to eating and thus lifting for maintenance or have you found that people can actually make strength gains despite not getting bigger?
    If a person is happy with their weight and body composition, what is the point? In order to get stronger, you'd have to increase your muscle mass which will either increase your weight or change your body composition (offsetting muscle gain with a corresponding reduction in body fat).

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Kane View Post
    If a person is happy with their weight and body composition, what is the point? In order to get stronger, you'd have to increase your muscle mass which will either increase your weight or change your body composition (offsetting muscle gain with a corresponding reduction in body fat).
    What if the muscles just work better instead?

I think most people should leave the questions to the experts like Jordan but that's just me.

Default Clarification on gaining weight as an intermediate

I’ve also been struggling to understand the “guiding principles” for weight gain at the intermediate stage. I realize that this is highly individualistic. But there must be some “rules of thumb.” I’m guessing that the primary “rules” for an intermediate to gain weight would be as follows:

1) A tool to help overcome a hard stall
    2) Gaining mass/size

I see people like yourself who deadlift over 700 lbs. at a body weight close to 200. So, it’s obvious to me that a person doesn’t have to keep gaining weight to get stronger. I’m just not completely clear on when an intermediate should make a conscious effort to gain weight. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by kapatterson83 View Post
    I’ve also been struggling to understand the “guiding principles” for weight gain at the intermediate stage. I realize that this is highly individualistic. But there must be some “rules of thumb.” I’m guessing that the primary “rules” for an intermediate to gain weight would be as follows:

1) A tool to help overcome a hard stall
    2) Gaining mass/size

I see people like yourself who deadlift over 700 lbs. at a body weight close to 200. So, it’s obvious to me that a person doesn’t have to keep gaining weight to get stronger. I’m just not completely clear on when an intermediate should make a conscious effort to gain weight. Any insight would be much appreciated!
    Don't forget, I pushed my weight up to nearly 230lbs when I was an early intermediate. Weight gain is important. I don't really have rules for gaining weight, but in general, most intermediates who are not strictly limited to a weight class in a sport that pays them a lot of money should probably gain weight for 12-16 weeks at a time 2-3x per year until they're an advanced athlete/have a sport that is a weight class sport that pays them money/have decreased motivation to gain weight regardless of strength (that's where I'm at currently). I'd be stronger at 231 and stronger still at 264, but I don't care enough to do that to myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Don't forget, I pushed my weight up to nearly 230lbs when I was an early intermediate. Weight gain is important. I don't really have rules for gaining weight, but in general, most intermediates who are not strictly limited to a weight class in a sport that pays them a lot of money should probably gain weight for 12-16 weeks at a time 2-3x per year until they're an advanced athlete/have a sport that is a weight class sport that pays them money/have decreased motivation to gain weight regardless of strength (that's where I'm at currently). I'd be stronger at 231 and stronger still at 264, but I don't care enough to do that to myself.
    Jordan, I think we need to start a "quotables guide" for this stuff. There are often 1-2 sentences of yours that seem to distill a whole lot of info into a very digestible and easily understood reality. Once again, a tiny nugget of gold.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    Jordan, I think we need to start a "quotables guide" for this stuff. There are often 1-2 sentences of yours that seem to distill a whole lot of info into a very digestible and easily understood reality. Once again, a tiny nugget of gold.
    Heh, maybe you're right. I'm not a big enough narcissist to start my own quote board, however.

starting strength coach development program
    Another favourite Feigenbomb:

'Eat a 40-50g of protein (8oz of meat, 2 scoops whey, 8 eggs, etc) 5 x per day (3 meals + 2 shakes work nicely). Have a good bit of carbs with each meal (oats, rice, potatoes, etc.), and as many veggies as you want. Put down a glass or two of whole milk with each meal.'

Simple but effective!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast