starting strength gym

Thread: Accounting for Activity Levels During Recomp

Default Accounting for Activity Levels During Recomp

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I have a quick question about how to adjust my calories/macros for my activity level. I am a 5"3" 30 y.o. female novice trainee. I have been doing SS for about 6 months. I started at ~140lbs and am currently ~155 lbs. I am looking to start shedding some fat, so I have reduced my calorie intake and adjusted my macros according to your recommendations on To be a Beast. My main question is what adjustments should I make for my activity level? Most days, I commute to work, so I bike ~10 miles a day. The ride in is not too strenuous as it is largely down-hill, but the way back is fairly intense (mostly uphill). I use a mobile app, MyNetDiary, to track my calories/macros. The app has some crude calculator built in to estimate calories expended for various exercises. (I also use Google Fit to track my activity and that estimates calories too). So here are my questions: 1) Should I trust these apps for calculating calories burned? and 2) Should I be adding these calories to my target calories per day? Or is my activity level accounted for in your suggestions on “To be a Beast”?

My current lifting stats:
    Squat: 200
    Bench 116
    OHP: 82
    Clean: 120
    Deadlift: 240

My goal is to keep making progress but to shed the fat covering my muscle base.

Hey there!

So I would not explicitly count or factor in activity when it comes to using a macro based approach. By my own admission, initial macro levels are somewhat arbitrary and we need feedback to see how they work for you and your lifestyle (including average activity levels and what, if any, effect they have on energy expenditure). Thus, I'd just ignore any activity from a calculation perspective and just see how your results go.

Hi!

Thanks for the quick response. I will keep track and tweak accordingly.

Hi again,

While I have your ear, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the effects of Valarian Root on performance. I have been having trouble sleeping lately and I worry it might be affecting my progress. So, I am considering starting to use it to help normalize my sleep cycle. The primary active ingredient is GABA, so I think its mechanism of action is simply to raise GABA tone, thereby generally depressing the system. I don't know much about its kinetics/half-life etc. or how its other active ingredients might play a role. Any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ataraxia_kai_aponia View Post
    Hi again,

While I have your ear, I was wondering if you had any thoughts on the effects of Valarian Root on performance. I have been having trouble sleeping lately and I worry it might be affecting my progress. So, I am considering starting to use it to help normalize my sleep cycle. The primary active ingredient is GABA, so I think its mechanism of action is simply to raise GABA tone, thereby generally depressing the system. I don't know much about its kinetics/half-life etc. or how its other active ingredients might play a role. Any thoughts?
    The half life is about 1.1 hrs so with 5 half lives until elimination, it's unlikely unless you take it pre workout and even then....probably not.

starting strength coach development program
    Great! Thanks!