starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best weight class

Default best weight class

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    hey Jordan

What weight class do you think a 5'9 lifter would realize his greatest strength potential? especially if he's not overly concerned with bodyfat levels

242-275.

that heavy? cool. Guess i can keep eating. thanks Jordan

Quote Originally Posted by 2chainz View Post
    that heavy? cool. Guess i can keep eating. thanks Jordan
    Yep, keep eating

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    242-275.
    So, obvious, but probably inconsequential follow on question: What body fat percentage would they be at?

Coach,

Do you suggest 242-275 because the OP said he wasn't concerned with bodyfat levels, and all other things being equal, being bigger, will be the easiest way to get stronger?

I ask because I've seen you mention that being over 20% bodyfat is not ideal for strength gainzZz (although of course, I assume, gainzZz can and still are being made).

You being a 5-10 lifter yourself is there a reason you dont put on that much weight? Just a lifestyle choice at the expenae of absolute strength potential?

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    So, obvious, but probably inconsequential follow on question: What body fat percentage would they be at?
    I don't really know and that'll depend on a lot of things. Probably higher than he wants.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahendra View Post
    Coach,

Do you suggest 242-275 because the OP said he wasn't concerned with bodyfat levels, and all other things being equal, being bigger, will be the easiest way to get stronger?

I ask because I've seen you mention that being over 20% bodyfat is not ideal for strength gainzZz (although of course, I assume, gainzZz can and still are being made).
    It is not ideal for the novice going through their progression to gain exorbitant amounts of weight and end up squatting 275 x 5 x 3 and 30% body fat, that's a problem. A world class powerlifter who's >5'10 is going to likely have more body fat 20% unless there's a lot of chemistry involved.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    You being a 5-10 lifter yourself is there a reason you dont put on that much weight? Just a lifestyle choice at the expenae of absolute strength potential?
    Being a great powerlifter is not worth it to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post

Being a great powerlifter is not worth it to me.
    The good news is by squatting so heavy, you are probably only 5' 9 by now (regardless what your drivers license says).

starting strength coach development program
    Is the reason for "too much fat" (>20% ?) being a disadvantage for strength gains because it hinders testosterone production? Carbohydrate processing? Or is it just unnecessary rather than counterproductive?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast