starting strength gym

Thread: LBM vs Total Weight for initial macro guess

Default LBM vs Total Weight for initial macro guess

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan,

I've always been curious that some nutritional protocols base all their protein/macro requirements off of LBM and others off total weight. To me, LBM makes more sense as a starting value than total weight since a 220 lbs fat guy will have different nutritional requirements than a 220 lbs ripped guy. But then again, that is why I am on the forum asking questions!

I appreciate the start values for different goals in the TBAB article, but still, I've always been confused when nutritional protocols have the same macro requirement for two people trying to lose fat who start off at drastically different %bf. For example, 220 lbs at 30% vs 220 lbs at 20%. To me, it seems clear the 30% guy has different metabolic demands than the 20% guy.

I was curious if you could explain the rationale between using BW vs LBM.

I've decided it is time to recomposition since I've pushed my waistline up too high for USAF PT Test requirements, and need to start reigning it in, and figured I'd ask for your thoughts before complying.

Thank you very much!

Eh, the difference in "metabolic demands" for the example you listed is about 300kCal- so not terribly drastic and well within the realm of individual differences. These "differences" are due to past dietary history, genetics, training, etc. So no, I wouldn't necessarily agree that LBM levels affect initial macro prescription until LBM levels are wildly different.

LBM is only part of the equation when prescribing protein intake. We also have to factor in age, gender, training level, dietary preferences, etc. LBM would be more useful for protein macro recommendations on a very overweight person, however.

Awesome. Thanks, that makes sense. So after complying for awhile, I'll tweak as necessary per your article recommendation.