starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wait a minute, are the BCAA's in my Whey not enough?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by MBasic View Post
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...archid=1950250

try clicking on this . . . not sure if link will work, as I don't know much about message boards, forum stuff, links, etc . . . but I can see the search-text-bar thingy with the looking-glass-icon-doo-hickey in the top right corner of the SS web page(s).
    It's probably best never to bother with the forum's primitive search function. Just go to google and type:

bcaa site:http://startingstrength.com/resources/forum/nutrition

Quote Originally Posted by JukkaM View Post
    Care to link it? Couldnīt find it yet.
    http://startingstrength.com/resource...archid=1950250

try clicking on this . . . not sure if link will work, as I don't know much about message boards, forum stuff, links, etc . . . but I can see the search-text-bar thingy with the looking-glass-icon-doo-hickey in the top right corner of the SS web page(s).
    Try this to find it.

[Ctrl] + [F] (this brings up the browser search function, works in a huge number of programs in Windows and is an amazing tool that many people don't use)

Type "Advanced Search" (This should highlight the link to the forum's powerful search page)

Click the link and adjust the parameters for searching to meet your needs. Unfortunately this returns links to the topics a search turned up and not the individual posts (A pain when the topic has 30 pages of replies), but then you can use the control F function to search within the topic.

I just got a free sample of bcaa powder from bulk supplements. It reputedly tastes bad by itself. If I mix it with whey protein isolate in a regular shake, is that a waste of time?

Quote Originally Posted by CimmerianInTraining View Post
    I just got a free sample of bcaa powder from bulk supplements. It reputedly tastes bad by itself. If I mix it with whey protein isolate in a regular shake, is that a waste of time?
    100%

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    100%
    This makes it sound as though taking the BCAAs with other protein sources is a waste. Having just got onto the BCAA wagon, and reading your advice to take 5g between meals but to have a 3-5 hour interval between large protein intakes to accommodate for muscle protein synthesis refractory periods, I'm finding it difficult to consistently cram down 200g of protein in meals alone while not pounding some Whey with my xtend between those meals.

Of course if I look slant wise at my wife's carefully crafted pasta dinner one more time it might have grave ramifications for my house's happiness... especially since the 3 year old consistently eats the pasta...

Quote Originally Posted by Serack View Post
    This makes it sound as though taking the BCAAs with other protein sources is a waste. ..
    It is IMO. I don't count BCAAs as part of the protein recommendations either, but rather in addition to it.

I'm finding it difficult to consistently cram down 200g of protein in meals alone while not pounding some Whey with my xtend between those meals.
    Doesn't seem so hard, just need moar protein each meal

Only 4 "meals" (shake her or there)
    50 gram protein meal every four hours . . .BCAA at the 2 hour mark in between
    = 200 grams - 3 or 4 bcaa spikes in between.

6 am - breakfest - 50 gram protein
    8 am - BCAAs/Xtend
    10am- 2nd breakfest or shake - 50 grams
    noon - BCAAs/Xtend
    1 pm - lunch - 50 gram protein
    4 pm - BCAAs/Xtend
    6 pm- Dinner - 50 grams protien
    7:30 pm - BCAAs/Xtend
    9 bed

Jordan would this be 'optimal' for 220# puffy middle aged dude?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It is IMO. I don't count BCAAs as part of the protein recommendations either, but rather in addition to it.
    And thus timing of BCAAs shouldn't be factored into MPS refractory period timing like I'm trying to do for large Protein intake timing?

Otherwise, I've tried interpreting your advice by taking BCAAs PWO and in place of my Whey when my caloric needs have been met otherwise I.E. typically before bed >3 hours post dinner, when I've already met my caloric goals, and thus 180cal from another Whey shake would exceed them... The Mrs says she would be more impressed by a reduction in waist size than more gainzZz, so I've been at a 300cal deficit the past few weeks since I started trying to assimilate your advice.

Thanks for your responses, I read on your website that your MD is pending and I can't wait to congratulate you on that. My wife was getting her (successful) treatments at the EVMS Jones Institute the past year.

Doesn't seem so hard, just need moar protein each meal

Only 4 "meals" (shake her or there)
    50 gram protein meal every four hours . . .BCAA at the 2 hour mark in between
    = 200 grams - 3 or 4 bcaa spikes in between.

6 am - breakfest - 50 gram protein
    8 am - BCAAs/Xtend
    10am- 2nd breakfest or shake - 50 grams
    noon - BCAAs/Xtend
    1 pm - lunch - 50 gram protein
    4 pm - BCAAs/Xtend
    6 pm- Dinner - 50 grams protien
    7:30 pm - BCAAs/Xtend
    9 bed

Jordan would this be 'optimal' for 220# puffy middle aged dude?
    This is perfect.

And thus timing of BCAAs shouldn't be factored into MPS refractory period timing like I'm trying to do for large Protein intake timing?
    Correct.

Otherwise, I've tried interpreting your advice by taking BCAAs PWO and in place of my Whey when my caloric needs have been met otherwise I.E. typically before bed >3 hours post dinner, when I've already met my caloric goals, and thus 180cal from another Whey shake would exceed them... The Mrs says she would be more impressed by a reduction in waist size than more gainzZz, so I've been at a 300cal deficit the past few weeks since I started trying to assimilate your advice.

Thanks for your responses, I read on your website that your MD is pending and I can't wait to congratulate you on that. My wife was getting her (successful) treatments at the EVMS Jones Institute the past year.
    Oh interesting! Well hey there neighbor

As far as BCAAs vs Whey PWO, I think that overall outcomes are going to be about equal long term for a person who is training 1x/day and does not have any issue with food, i.e. is calorie restricted and would prefer to eat their protein vs drink it (they would do better with BCAAs) or who is short on time and needs cals in a hurry (whey might be better for them). Still, I would prefer most to do BCAAs immediately pre and post workout and then do a meal about 30-60min later.

starting strength coach development program
    Jordan what would be your recomendation for those training at night? I typically eat around 7pm, grab a bowl of cereal for a carb boost right before I start working out around 10PM and finish between 11:30 and 12:30. I take a recovery drink with BCAA and carbs plus other stuff and then hit the bed. I don't want to eat heavy before bed due to gerd but realize this might be suboptimal.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast