starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Wait a minute, are the BCAA's in my Whey not enough?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Chubbins View Post
    Jordan what would be your recomendation for those training at night? I typically eat around 7pm, grab a bowl of cereal for a carb boost right before I start working out around 10PM and finish between 11:30 and 12:30. I take a recovery drink with BCAA and carbs plus other stuff and then hit the bed. I don't want to eat heavy before bed due to gerd but realize this might be suboptimal.
    I don't know what the rest of your day looks like, but I'd probably try and condense your pre workout meal into one meal (e.g. not the 7pm meal then another one right before working out). Then I'd take BCAAs +/- carbs right before and right after training. If you're going to bed right after your workout, I'd just stick with BCAAs or whey and the correct number of carbs you need to hit your numbers for the day.

I have a question. Obviously most people here want every edge they can get. I have done pretty well with strength training but have never really gotten into supplements and/or monitoring protein intake that much as my strength has always gone up (novice --> intermediate --> advanced (on bench) unfortunately).

All this to say, is the benefit of timing your BCAA's or even taking them noticeable? I understand that studies suggest efficacy, I'm just curious what kind of noticeable difference they make or if it's very marginal. I may end up caring about supplements I just want to know it's worth the small opportunity cost of taking the time to care.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    I have a question. Obviously most people here want every edge they can get. I have done pretty well with strength training but have never really gotten into supplements and/or monitoring protein intake that much as my strength has always gone up (novice --> intermediate --> advanced (on bench) unfortunately).

All this to say, is the benefit of timing your BCAA's or even taking them noticeable? I understand that studies suggest efficacy, I'm just curious what kind of noticeable difference they make or if it's very marginal. I may end up caring about supplements I just want to know it's worth the small opportunity cost of taking the time to care.
    I think BCAAs make a pretty decent difference provided everything else is on point, yes. Best advice is to try taking them regularly (between meals, pre and post workout) and see how you are doing after a month. I have seen some pretty good results personally and with the people I work with, but it's hard to tell in advance how you're going to do.

starting strength coach development program
    Thanks for taking the time to respond Jordan, I'm going to order some BCAAs and bath in gains.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123