starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have I blew my chance at decent novice gains?

Default Have I blew my chance at decent novice gains?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey jordan,

I have been doing the starting strength novice programme since May this year and have made some pretty slow progress compared to others on this forum as a result of my poor nutrition. I know I haven't been consistently hitting 3000 + kcals which is the minimum recommended amount for the programme. This is mainly because of living with my girlfriends parents whilst saving up to buy a house. I plan to address my nutrition when I move out in the near future.

So my question is:

Have I blew my chance at making my true linear gains I.e 5lbs every workout because my body has acclimatised to training all be it undernourished or would my gains accelerate to my true potential as soon as I started fuelling my body appropriately or would slightly more complex programming be required?

Because if I'm honest with myself I can't really quantify the quality of my workouts and what my next steps are without adequate nutrition.

Hope this makes sense and thanks for doing this forum I've learnt a lot of good information.

Stats: 5'11, 193lbs, age 25 squat 95kg, bench 77.5kg, press 55kg, deadlift 110kg (woeful numbers I know)

How much weight have you gained since starting the Starting Strength Novice LP?

Approx 13 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by jamiet View Post
    Approx 13 lbs.
    Yea LP is not gonna work if you gain less than half of the weight you're going to need to gain in nearly twice the amount of time a true to life novice LP will last.

Ok basically I'm still a novice then that needs to gain at least another 13lbs. Could you take a look at my diet to see if I'm far off the mark, a typical day looks like this.

7:00 -7:30 4 eggs, 1 scoop of whey mixed with 1 pint whole milk and oats (75g cho)

11:00 - 11:30 8oz chicken breast , rice/ potatoes (75g cho) , frozen mixed veg unmeasured, 1 pint of milk

15:00 same as above

18:30 - 19:00 whatever the the in laws make for tea usually supplement with a scoop or two of whey if the proteins not sufficient

22:00 -22:30 2 scoops of whey with water.

I'm guessing there's not enough carbs and fat in there in there.

Brodie Butland is offline Starting Strength Coach
    Consigliere

BUT...you can correct this nutritional deficit...and then you'll experience the wonders of LP.

Just to clear something up....he will be able to resume linear if he will eat to gain weight correct? If not or even if so is it absolutely critical that a lifter go through the entire linear phase before moving to intermediate? I ask because i hear different things on this site vs PPST3 where it says in fact that a situational intermediate can occur.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yea LP is not gonna work if you gain less than half of the weight you're going to need to gain in nearly twice the amount of time a true to life novice LP will last.
    If an athlete needs to gain twenty pounds, at a minimum they must gain ten pouunds in 6-months to meet the nutritional requirements of a true novice LP? Assuming a 3-month LP. Thanks.

The book says 3-9 months for LP depending on age, sex, genetics, motivation, etc. Would you say about 4 months is pretty typical? In my experience with 15-17 yr old males, reluctance to eat enough makes them artificial intermediates after 3-4 months.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Hypothetical (and quite possibly stupid) question here, but in the grand scheme of things, if absolute strength was his aim;

Would this guy be better stopping now, reducing calories, allowing himself to completely de-train then running an LP properly in a few months, or struggling on with proper nutrition but more complex programming and slower gains?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast