starting strength gym

Thread: Nutrition to help increase frequency of prowler sessions

Default Nutrition to help increase frequency of prowler sessions

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hello Jordon

I'm 36, 100kg, and 181 cm tall.

A quick thanks. After reading your articles and following your nutritional and supplement recommendations I have lost 8 kilos but have increased all my lifts. Last week I squatted 203kg for a set of 5 with plenty left in the tank, when last time I lifted 203 on intensity day @108 I managed only 5 hard singles and 210 is my heaviest which I am going to cruise past this time around. All my other lifts have progressed in similar ways so thanks.

My question is about using the prowler. I am running my own variation of the Texas Method and I religiously hit the prowler twice a week but lately I have been hitting it three times a week and sometimes think about doing it four times. It does not seem to be affecting my lifting in a negative way. I read once Mark commenting that too much prowler will deplete the body of something. I cant find or remember what he exactly he said negative would happen. If so is there something you can do nutritionally to ensure that you can recover from the prowler better? I seem to also remember you recommending putting a cap on how much prowler someone does but I'm not sure if this applies to everyone.

Thanks

My initial question would be why do you want to do the prowler more?

The main goal of my training is to gain strength. I have found 2-3 times per week on the prowler has contributed to my training goals. I also get a lot of enjoyment from smashing myself with the prowler. If I don't do it hard enough I get a feeling of absence and if I do it so hard that I feel I could die, the feeling of contentment lasts all day.
    After reading and re-reading "To Be A Beast" I used My Fitness Pal and discovered I was getting over 65% of calories from fat, so I dropped my total calorie intake and balanced out my macros to closer match your recommendations, also I added BCAAs and creatine. The results were I lost weight around my waist and continued to gain strength, I feel more energetic too.
    If my goal was to get a 250kg+ squat before I turn 40, will prowling blunt my efforts and should I just rest more or can it be achieved with good diet and nutrition?
    Also do you still have plans to write an article on programming for the prowler?
    Thanks

He's got a fever, and the only prescription is more prowler?

Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    The main goal of my training is to gain strength. I have found 2-3 times per week on the prowler has contributed to my training goals. I also get a lot of enjoyment from smashing myself with the prowler. If I don't do it hard enough I get a feeling of absence and if I do it so hard that I feel I could die, the feeling of contentment lasts all day.
    After reading and re-reading "To Be A Beast" I used My Fitness Pal and discovered I was getting over 65% of calories from fat, so I dropped my total calorie intake and balanced out my macros to closer match your recommendations, also I added BCAAs and creatine. The results were I lost weight around my waist and continued to gain strength, I feel more energetic too.
    If my goal was to get a 250kg+ squat before I turn 40, will prowling blunt my efforts and should I just rest more or can it be achieved with good diet and nutrition?
    Also do you still have plans to write an article on programming for the prowler?
    Thanks
    Eh I think that conditioning "hard" more than 2 times a week is likely a significant layer of stress that may blunt strength gains, particularly in a trainee whose recovery isn't amazing. For the purposes of improving conditioning, I think more variety is needed- e.g. steady state work, lactate threshold type stuff, and different modalities. For strength training purposes, I think conditioning should be such that recovery can be improved long term (for work capacity) and the volume only as high as needed to drive body composition changes (if desired). Anything higher than that would seemingly compete with recovery/motivation/performance resources for the strength training.

I do plan on writing a conditioning article...but I haven't found the time just yet.

Yeah your too busy setting PRs and winning the Fall Classic.

Thanks for your time.

Quote Originally Posted by Wulff View Post
    Yeah your too busy setting PRs and winning the Fall Classic.

Thanks for your time.
    Haha! In fairness, I haven't set a PR in like a year so that's probably not the case

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by hatmanii View Post
    He's got a fever, and the only prescription is more prowler?
    I have to give this post props. That is all.