starting strength gym

Thread: nutrition and programming question

Default nutrition and programming question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Ok so right now my goals are simply to get stronger while not gaining any body weight if at all possible. I am about 185 pounds 5'9" (roughly 17%bf)and finished linear progression this time at 375x5 squat 265x5 bench 185x5 press 500x5 deadlift. All that said the reason I do not want to add any body weight is because for other sports reasons(when I get heavier it slows my endurance for basketball as well as speed to a degree). However strength is my immediate goal for the foreseeable future so am I going to be able to eat roughly what ive been eating which is about ~2900 cals a day following your TBAB recommendations and still get stronger without gaining mass that I dont want? Will I be able to go to the Texas method or another Intermediate program and make progress without gaining weight?

I hate asking you programming advice in here since it is indeed a nutrition forum but I read your work and am very much impressed so I value your opinion highly. thanks

I don't think Texas method is going to work well for you unless you do a split routine to spread out the stress. Depending on the dose of stress you need, that may work without adding any extra exercises or volume in.

Fair enough. If I do use the 4 day split will it slow my progression as far as adding 5 pounds every week(2.5 for presses)? Over the long term by not adding mass does that effectively shorten the lifespan of intermediate level programming?

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Fair enough. If I do use the 4 day split will it slow my progression as far as adding 5 pounds every week(2.5 for presses)? Over the long term by not adding mass does that effectively shorten the lifespan of intermediate level programming?
    Well what is your progression right now? Adding 2.5/5lbs per week is pretty good for an intermediate, you know....

And yes, not gaining muscle mass is going to shorten your lifespan of intermediate programming and attenuate your strength overall

Oh I am adding 2.5/5 pounds per week but i meant but trying to not add mass would I need to take smaller jumps in your experience?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    Oh I am adding 2.5/5 pounds per week but i meant but trying to not add mass would I need to take smaller jumps in your experience?
    No, 2.5 and 5lbs weekly jumps are the smallest increments I would play with. It'll just last a shorter duration of time.