starting strength gym

Thread: PWO/Supplements denature after long periods in water?

Default PWO/Supplements denature after long periods in water?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan, great meeting you at the Oakland meet. Quick question I've been stewing on for awhile that I don't think has been asked before:

Do supplements degrade or denature in any way by sitting in water or a solution of water and other supplements for a long period of time (8-48 hours)? What about refrigerating such a solution?

For example: I mix my own PWO of beta alanine, citrulline malate, theanine, caffeine, and a little creatine and I like to dump it into a bottle of Powerade. I tend to wait until about 30 minutes before I go to the gym to mix and drink it immediately, but is there any reason I couldn't mix it in the AM and/or the day before and let it sit?

Any denaturing that occurs in water is unimportant since they'll be exposed to a pH of 1-3 in the stomach and then they'll really get denatured. I wouldn't worry about it.

I always felt uncomfortable with recommendations to consume creatine within 20 minutes of mixing to avoid it's unstable half life to creatinine when in liquid form... Jordan explains the main inclination I had that I was afraid to voice for fear that I was making it up in ignorance.