starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery From (mild) Foodborne Illness

Default Recovery From (mild) Foodborne Illness

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Any recommendations?

I was at TOS last week and seemingly ate something dodgy while travelling back over the weekend. The period of sickness included an initial period of about 24 hours of largely avoiding food because I felt so nauseated followed by about 36 hours of frequent eliminations and fever like symptoms. I was mostly over that by monday night and returned to pretty much my normal eating pattern (albeit a bit more bland than normal) by Tuesday morning. I supplemented that by drinking pedialyte since I was first able to keep down anything (2 litres across 4 servings over 2 days - half bottle each of monday night, tuesday morning and night and a final half bottle this morning).

I hope to get back to full training by monday, and hope to do 2 light sessions later this week to ease back into it. I'll probably just hit warm ups on thursday (bench, squat and chin) and then a light 5X3 session on saturday.

I appreciate that clinical decisions are based on patient specific information I haven't provided, but are there and general ideas you've found beneficial under these sorts of circumstances (wearing Depends when attempting your first heavy squat? More pedialyte?)?

On a related note - is it odd that I really enjoy Pedialyte

I'd probably do a 1-2 week LP if they can when a real illness knocks them out. I also recommend spacing food out a little bit further from the workout than normal, e.g. 2 hours pre workout and I'll have the person take a gatorade, cut it 50/50 with water and add BCAAs to it and sip on it during the workout. Otherwise, there's nothing really fancy I'd do rehydration wise like after weigh ins or something.