starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre-Wisdom Teeth Removal

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Son's teeth get removed this Friday. I will post his comments.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    has no idea what whey protein is.
    My son had his wisdom teeth out this morning. Asked the DDS about why no protein powder 1 week before the procedure and he said:

"I am concerned with the effect it has on the kidneys and there might be something in the protein powder, something not natural, that during the procedure would cause problems such as the blood not being able to clot. You really don't know what they put in the product."

From what I have read in PPST 3rd edition and the information/links on the boards here, I feel that his statement about the kidneys is not true. I suppose he is referring to getting a "bad batch" of protein powder and the blood not being able to clot. My son and I have not had any problems over the last 3 years.

FWIW we use Now Whey Protein Isolate.

"I am concerned with the effect it has on the kidneys and there might be something in the protein powder, something not natural, that during the procedure would cause problems such as the blood not being able to clot. You really don't know what they put in the product."
    Somewhere in Virginia a man just uttered the longest, saddest sigh.

I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth hacked out when I was 19. I was advised to avoid smoking and choose foods I was comfortable with. They recommended ice cream and pudding for the first few days... excellent recovery food, right? I ended up blending up typical oat/whey shakes, "green smoothies," and yogurt/chia/tea mixtures and sucking those down without issue. Just stay on top of your "water syringe" cleanings and you'll be just fine.

UK Dentist here, routinely carry out extractions of wisdom teeth under both IV sedation and GAs in pretty much 6-7 hospitals in the past year.
    Worked with variety of anesthetists and carried out the consent form, never ever heard of someone being told not to have protein powder the thing is pretty much cottage cheese. I would honestly recommend no lifting for a few days after or just do a light 40-50% especially if having your lower wisdom teeth out and you had stitches placed.
    Could be a US thing dunno.

Yea smoking should be avoided for sure (though it should be stopped 6-8 weeks prior to surgery, optimally) and heavy training should be avoided for 3-5 days IMO.

I always thought the smoking was to avoid the sucking action that can lead to dry sockets. Same reason you shouldn't use straws. Or is that all an old wives tale?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    I always thought the smoking was to avoid the sucking action that can lead to dry sockets. Same reason you shouldn't use straws. Or is that all an old wives tale?
    I'm not sure but I'd wager that there are multiple lines of evidence suggesting just why smoking is a bad idea post op for thirds removal (and other surgeries). But being under general anesthesia, even if it's a light sedation, tends to be complicated if someone has quit smoking recently (sooner than 8 weeks prior to surgery).

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12