starting strength gym

Thread: coffee ramp-up

Default coffee ramp-up

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    (all coffee referenced is taken black, "cups" are proper cups and not huge mugs or anything)
    On the reg:
    I slam a cold cup of instant coffee (that I prep'd the night before and stuck in the fridge) first thing in the morning and then go for a half hour walk.
    I drink 2 cups of drip from a thermos through the morning (8-10a).

In response to some reading on this forum and as suggested by my local SSC, I recently started drinking 2 cups before/during my lifting session (5p).

Usually caffeine after noon would affect my sleep (or I've fooled myself into believing this), but Dr. J suggests that you get used to it (I buy that or else I wouldn't be trying it).

QUESTION: Should I drink the latter 2 cups around the same time (5p) every day or just on workout days (still on LP so MWF)? Does it matter?

LESS IMPORTANT QUESTION: usually my morning dose of BCAA's comes before I finish my coffee. Okay to mix?

LASTLY: Am I just completely mistaken and "coffee" really means something else? *obligatory wink*

Thanks,
    Chris

I would play with the timing of the coffee relative to training to see what is optimal for you, but sounds like you're doing it right provided your sleep is good.

It doesn't matter how close the bcaa dose is taken wrt caffeine.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lippke View Post
    QUESTION: Should I drink the latter 2 cups around the same time (5p) every day or just on workout days (still on LP so MWF)? Does it matter?
    Some folks who are particularly sensitive to caffeine experience ugly effects from variation in intake. Headaches, migraines, and extreme lethargy are typical. Sometimes these symptoms can be alleviated by immediate consumption of small amounts of caffeine.

I am moderately sensitive (migraine), but the dosage variation you describe, OP, would be below the bound which would concern me (if I read you correctly -- 1 pint of gas station drip coffee variation [~200mg caffeine]).

YMMV and by now you know