starting strength gym

Thread: Macros and Fish

Default Macros and Fish

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Dr. Gainzzz,
    Just have two question I have read your to be a beast article and I have switched from just calculating only my protein and calories to full on macro calculations.

1- In the past if I messed up in a day (friends or family over and overate) I would just reduce the calories in the next day and all will be well, however what do you do if for example I overshot my fats or carbs for a day.
    Should I reduce the fats and carbs next or just keep everything the same?

2- How the hell can a guy that loves whole Eggs, Fish and Lamb keep his fat under control I'm currently doing 200 P 230 C and 62 F and honestly fat is the hardest not to overshoot the rest I just force feed.

1) I don't make corrections based on going over or under on a day. Just move on and do as best as you can.

2) Those won't work in large quantities when trying to lose fat, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I am curious. It seems the implication in the above statement is that a lower fat diet makes it easier to lose fat. Is that correct? If so, why? Does it have to something to do with nutrient partitioning when coupled with resistance training? Also, if so, is it a significant difference in fat loss rate? When compared to say a slightly lower carb intake with a slightly higher fat intake say 200 C, 75 F in reference to the OP's macros?

Not challenging, genuinely curious...

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbrother24 View Post
    2- How the hell can a guy that loves whole Eggs, Fish and Lamb keep his fat under control I'm currently doing 200 P 230 C and 62 F and honestly fat is the hardest not to overshoot the rest I just force feed.
    I made that work by taking carbs lower, which was fine for my context - older guy, type 2 diabetic, sedentary job, etc. It worked even better when I moved most of my carbs to peri-workout on gym days, advice I read from some guy around these parts. I aimed for 200P/150C/90F, or 2210 calories, very close to what Bigbrother is doing. However, staying below the carb ceiling became the new challenge for me.

Thank you so much for really quick response, one last small question don't want to open another thread.
    I'm an early intermediate on TM at 83 kgs at 170 cm 19% bfat with navy method which approach is better if I want to compete in 83kgs, 1- bulk up to 90-93 kgs and then cut down to 84-85 or 2-maintain at 84-85 pretty much year round and cut down last 2 weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    I am curious. It seems the implication in the above statement is that a lower fat diet makes it easier to lose fat. Is that correct?
    All things being equal, yes.

If so, why? Does it have to something to do with nutrient partitioning when coupled with resistance training?
    Not really. People just eat less calories on a low fat diet, in general.

Also, if so, is it a significant difference in fat loss rate? When compared to say a slightly lower carb intake with a slightly higher fat intake say 200 C, 75 F in reference to the OP's macros?
    Depends what time frame you're looking at. Over a year? They are the same and they both pretty much suck if you rely on the existing data sets.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigbrother24 View Post
    Thank you so much for really quick response, one last small question don't want to open another thread.
    I'm an early intermediate on TM at 83 kgs at 170 cm 19% bfat with navy method which approach is better if I want to compete in 83kgs, 1- bulk up to 90-93 kgs and then cut down to 84-85 or 2-maintain at 84-85 pretty much year round and cut down last 2 weeks.
    You're far too tall to be a good 83, but if you want a really good body composition and don't really care how much you lift, I'd hang out around 85-6 and cut to 83. Getting to 90-93 is far too big of a cut IMO.

Re: curbing dietary fat, I just transition to leaner cuts of red meat and white fish vs tuna/salmon. I still eat whole eggs just in fewer numbers.

Also: eat ice cream and still hit your fat loss macros with protein gelato: Forte Gelato (I love this stuff so much needed to share)

You're far too tall to be a good 83, but if you want a really good body composition and don't really care how much you lift, I'd hang out around 85-6 and cut to 83. Getting to 90-93 is far too big of a cut IMO.
    You're the only person that told me i'm too tall at anything (made me feel good haha), I am aiming to settle at 90-93 in the future (in a year or two) however I feel like I am far too weak for it with a 1090 total (at meet) and since I am still making constant weight increases on TM by just controlling my macros for the first time and having creatine I probably won't increase until I start having recovery issues.

Quote Originally Posted by craze9 View Post
    Re: curbing dietary fat, I just transition to leaner cuts of red meat and white fish vs tuna/salmon. I still eat whole eggs just in fewer numbers.

Also: eat ice cream and still hit your fat loss macros with protein gelato: Forte Gelato (I love this stuff so much needed to share)
    Been replacing my steaks with some leaner cuts and some is actually pretty good but my biggest hit is Salmon living in Scotland smoked salmon is cheap as anything for decent grams of protein so I would always enjoy an easy snack of 3-4 scrambled eggs on wheat bread with smoked salmon but if I did that it would hit almost half my fat intake in one go.

starting strength coach development program
    I add 4-6 Oz of egg whites to each whole egg in my morning scramble. Makes the macros much better and the meal is larger / more filling.

2 whole eggs is 180 cal (half fat)
    12 Oz eggs is 200 cal (all protein)

So you can have 4 eggs for 22g fat and 24g protein or what i wrote above for 11g of fat and 52g protein. It basically tastes the same.