starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do when meal timing gets screwed up

Default What to do when meal timing gets screwed up

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan,

I did a quick search on this, but didn't see anything. Apologize as I'm sure you've answered this many times already. 2 questions for you though:

1) If your meal timing gets screwed up (due to travel, etc.) and you find it is close to bed time, but you still need to get in say 80 to 120 grams of protein. is it better to do get the protein in in 1 big meal/shake/combo, right before bed. Or is that too much protein for one meal and are you better off just getting less protein that day? Note: 210lb male asking.

1a) Does the answer change if you trained that day

2) How important are post workout carbs? I understand carbs give you energy, but are they critical for protein synthesis. E.g., If I settle around 200 to 220 carbs per day but have enough energy is that OK....or am I leaving gains on the table? Note; I tend toward a higher fat diet...based on palate.

Thx

1) The number one thing that matters is calories, bc any negative side effects from the meal timing has already occurred and it cannot be fixed. 120g of protein is not "too much" from a safety standpoint so I'd probably just eat it if you have to. No, the answer doesn't change if you trained that day other than someone should've planned better.

2) Not critical for protein synthesis at all. 200-220 is fine unless you train a lot.

Thanks for the quick response. I'm on a recomp plan right now following TBAB. If I have to cram the protein in at the end of the night, I know it is safe to do so. But is it still beneficial for someone on a recomp...who is looking to keep making gains if possible?

Elaborating on question 2, does it make a significant difference if my carb macros vary between 250-400g considering I always reach the same calorie (3300kcal) and protein (200-220g) goal everyday?

Quote Originally Posted by entering40strongerthan20 View Post
    Thanks for the quick response. I'm on a recomp plan right now following TBAB. If I have to cram the protein in at the end of the night, I know it is safe to do so. But is it still beneficial for someone on a recomp...who is looking to keep making gains if possible?
    Is it beneficial in what context? It's beneficial in that you're not going to be in a caloric deficit, so that's good. Here's the main thing, just don't let it happen that often. It's not going to kill you, certainly, but it's not helping in any way possible. As an adult, you can likely control this.

Quote Originally Posted by Luke S View Post
    Elaborating on question 2, does it make a significant difference if my carb macros vary between 250-400g considering I always reach the same calorie (3300kcal) and protein (200-220g) goal everyday?
    Yes, this matters- though to what degree is very individualized.

How important in general do you consider timing in general? The recommendation of having 3-5 meals a day, 3-5 hours apart is quite easy to comply most of the time but sometimes crap can hit the fan when it comes meal timing. So the order of importance would be something like the following?

1) Macros
    2) Energy intake
    3) Timing
    4) Food quality
    5) Micronutritents and vitamins?

Of course this is context depended, as always...

In which way would the second one (By Luke S) matter please ? Would having less carbs and more fat be beneficial or bad for you ?

Quote Originally Posted by JukkaM View Post
    How important in general do you consider timing in general? The recommendation of having 3-5 meals a day, 3-5 hours apart is quite easy to comply most of the time but sometimes crap can hit the fan when it comes meal timing. So the order of importance would be something like the following?

1) Macros
    2) Energy intake
    3) Timing
    4) Food quality
    5) Micronutritents and vitamins?

Of course this is context depended, as always...
    Yea the context really matters, as for an athlete competing or training multiple times per day, nutrient timing actually can matter. For the rest of us, it just doesn't matter that much. So my hierarchy for performance looks like:

Macros =/= energy intake and salt >>>>>>>>> Everything else

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Yea the context really matters, as for an athlete competing or training multiple times per day, nutrient timing actually can matter. For the rest of us, it just doesn't matter that much. So my hierarchy for performance looks like:

Macros =/= energy intake and salt >>>>>>>>> Everything else
    Interesting that you mentioned salt. Electrolytes etc. are important, no question about that. Does this apply to everyone or especially to athletes/individuals who sweat a lot during training becasee of outside temperature or just inidividual characteristics? Personally, I don´t sweat easyily for example.

I´ve got the impression that the link between salt intake and high blood pressure is somewhat bogus? At least if salt intake somewhat moderated? I´d be super bummed to have eggs, salmon etc. without a good pinch of salt...

Also, is there a difference if salt is consumed diluteld in water or with solid meals?

Thanks once again.

starting strength coach development program
    The questions about salt will be answered in an upcoming post on this site so sit tight buddy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast