starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Food Quality

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    for the records, I shop at whole food.

3 cups lentils and 1 cup rice is 4 meals with ≈ 3g leucine for $1.00 or $1.50 a meal.

and I'm still gaining weight and increasing my lifts after 2.5 months of LP.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Dude, you're way over thinking this and your goal for 30-40 lbs of muscle is ~2-3 years of hard work, likely. We'd best get started, right?
    Honestly have to agree with Jordan, you're way way overthinking this, people have made pretty good muscle mass strength and just all around gains with diets of taco bell and McDonalds. Just get your macro numbers and try to hit them every day, keep track of it in a log (I use an excel sheet) and weigh yourself once a week or everyday like some people do.

Quote Originally Posted by visitorial View Post

3 cups lentils and 1 cup rice is 4 meals with ≈ 3g leucine for $1.00 or $1.50 a meal.

What's your squat at right now? Body weight?

Quote Originally Posted by visitorial View Post

Dude, 3g of leucine from shit sources isn't going to cut it. And 1 cup of rice is 2 meals at most. Eat chicken instead of lentils. It really really helps.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by jacobda View Post

My question is, what is the difference (if any) of getting chicken sold at Whole Foods for $7.99/lb versus something at a generic store for sub-$4/lb? I mean, the $7.99/lb isn't even the organic (that being $10.99/lb). Right now, I buy two 2 lb bags of frozen chicken from Whole Foods each week (only frozen chicken I can find that has one ingredient: chicken) -- each being $8.99 a piece.

Considering I want to gain weight and that protein is usually the most expensive food, is there anyway I can cut down on the weekly grocery bill by getting "regular" chicken?

And I'd like to incorporate fattier pieces of meat into my diet, as well as pork chops. How do I go about purchasing those? If there is no extra nutritional benefit, there is no reason for me to buy the more expensive food. That just doesn't seem logical. Rice, oats, sweet potatoes and peanut butter are relatively cheap, in my opinion. IF I can get that protein cost down as well as eating more meat, that'd be great.

Overall, I'm interested in your opinion.

Thanks.
    If you like pork, grocery stores (kroger, Walmart, etc) often sell pork loin for less than $2 per pound. Find a recipe you like and it's great. Have a Costco or Sam's club around you? Welcome to cheap protein Nirvana. Boneless skinless chicken breasts for 1.89 /lb even when it's not on sale.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12