starting strength gym

Thread: Current weight and weight gain after LP

Default Current weight and weight gain after LP

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,

I've been running SS novice LP since early January (with a few months off/no progress due to travel, sickness, depression, etc.). Over the past 8-9 months I went from 145-180 lbs. Almost all my lifts are stalling out after a few resets each: 330x3x5 squat, 250x3x3 bench, 162.5x3x3 press, 370x3 deadlift, and 160x4x2 PC. I've gained a few lbs over the last few weeks without any more progress on my squat, but my pressing movements have increased slightly, and my waist has increased more than I've liked.

I plan on moving to TM shortly. What would you recommend in the way of weight gain for someone with my lifts at 5'7" at 180 on TM? Would you recommend shedding some fat after finishing my LP, or continue gaining on TM? I've read TBAB, which was a great help. Thank you.

Zack

You probably don't need to gain weight very quickly to keep your strength going up. TM or similar will be a nice change of pace for you. What I would do is make sure you're not doing just 3x3 on any of the lifts anymore, since it's not enough volume to drive your strength up, likely, at this point.

I would probably be trying to gain 1-2lbs a month and keep an eye on your waist.

Great, thanks so much. I should've mentioned that I've been doing a set of 5 after each 3x3 to get a bit more volume in.

Quote Originally Posted by Laidbackzack View Post
    Great, thanks so much. I should've mentioned that I've been doing a set of 5 after each 3x3 to get a bit more volume in.
    I see. That may or may not be enough. I'm thinking not at this stage of the game, but that may be wrong too.

Thanks, Jordan. In terms of long-term goals for body composition, I'm slightly fluffier than I'd like to be currently, but desire to increase my base level of strength. Would you recommend I get all the easy gains out of the way before addressing my body fat level? I'm no by means fat, but my waist increased a few (3-4) inches since I began LP.

starting strength coach development program
    Yea I would get the easy strength stuff done first for sure. Cherish it.