starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whey protein "dosage"

Default Whey protein "dosage"

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan, I hope you're doin well in California!

Apologies if this is a dumb question and double apologies if this is something that you've answered a thousand times - I googled around and searched the forums, but didn't find this exact thing. Might be that I just couldn't put it into words well enough for the search engine. Anyways.

I'm taking steps to actually track my damn macros, starting with what I surmise to be the absolute most important thing, protein intake. I'm about 220 now, so 220g of protein is my target.

I typically take in about 500g of meat a day (chicken or beef, usually), so I'm getting me some whey isolate to help me along with that. If 500g of beef is about 150g of protein, I figure I need 70 grams more on top of that.

So my actual question is: my plan was to just slam a shake with 70 proteins in the evening every day. Is this alright, or do you think I should chop up that shake into smaller, less manly doses to be taken twice a day? Or is my "analysis" off to begin with?

Bonus question: I'm gonna try creatine again (had some sleep problems years ago). Take it every day or just on training days?

Thanks a bunch

So my actual question is: my plan was to just slam a shake with 70 proteins in the evening every day. Is this alright, or do you think I should chop up that shake into smaller, less manly doses to be taken twice a day? Or is my "analysis" off to begin with?

Bonus question: I'm gonna try creatine again (had some sleep problems years ago). Take it every day or just on training days?
    It's fine with me and take the creatine everyday

Alright, sounds good!

Thanks for all the work you do on here, I don't know how you manage it all.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatamon View Post
    Alright, sounds good!

Thanks for all the work you do on here, I don't know how you manage it all.
    Thanks man!

Protein from pasta, rice etc. don't count?

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    Protein from pasta, rice etc. don't count?
    Count for what?

Pasta and shit surely has some protein, but I doubt it's enough to put a serious amount onto my daily intake, or am I wrong?

Just wanted to ask a follow up question. I'm sure this isn't possible to answer with perfect accuracy, but how big of a detriment to my training do you think it has been that I've been probably 70-80 grams below what I should be getting on a daily basis?

Quote Originally Posted by Goatamon View Post
    Pasta and shit surely has some protein, but I doubt it's enough to put a serious amount onto my daily intake, or am I wrong?

Just wanted to ask a follow up question. I'm sure this isn't possible to answer with perfect accuracy, but how big of a detriment to my training do you think it has been that I've been probably 70-80 grams below what I should be getting on a daily basis?
    Pretty big over the long haul, likely.

Oh god... that would explain some things.

Well, better late than never.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Count for what?
    For gainZzz

If he's getting 220g from beef and whey, and assuming he's not paleo, he's getting total protein of maybe 275 - 325g when counting every other sources. So is he over target? Or in your opinion should one exclude protein from rice, bread, etc. when calculating total protein target intake?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast