starting strength gym

Thread: Inefficiently high protein?

Default Inefficiently high protein?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,

I'm a 200 lb guy, age 23, trained seriously since age 16-17 (though given that time frame and my level of dedication, I am not particularly big or strong). My diet, both because I have always felt it would be advantageous for training but also because I enjoy eating this way, is higher in protein (250-300 grams if calories are in the 3000-3200 area). While I know I shouldn't be worried about my body not "absorbing" that protein, is having 300 g of protein a day potentially inefficient from a strength/mass building perspective? By this I mean do you think that replacing those protein calories with calories from carbs/fat could be advantageous to me (outside of the small decrease in thermal effect)? I have been trying to ramp up my carb intake as of late (while keeping fat relatively low), per the advice that you seem to give out often on these boards, and am wondering if this would be a good next step.

Also, I just want to thank you for all you do on these boards. Hope med school isn't killing you.

Short answer, yes.

Longer answer, fuck yes- but I'm not sure by how much.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Short answer, yes.

Longer answer, fuck yes- but I'm not sure by how much.
    I know these questions are difficult to answer without getting a ton of details (and I want to be respectful of your time/job as a trainer), but if you could provide approximate answers to these follow-ups, I'd greatly appreciate it:

1) For someone in my position, what would you say the upper-level for protein that I should be consuming would be?

2) Given that you are suggesting I decrease my protein, and assuming my current intake sits around 3-3.2k cals/60-90g fat/300-350g carbs/250-300g protein, how would you redistribute those calories to fat/carbs?

3) I inherently like to go higher carb on lifting days vs. lower carb on off days (with fats moving at least somewhat in inverse), but I get the impression that you prefer consistent daily macros. Is that correct?

Thanks again Jordan.

1) depends on cals and palate, but ~220-250
    2) I'd move them all to carbs
    3) I don't care one way or another but I don't think it makes any difference other than complicating your life, unless you're cutting.

Cool. Appreciate it.