starting strength gym

Thread: Fitting in running

Default Fitting in running

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Jordan,

I know this section of the forum is typically reserved for the nutritional advice, but in light of your recent endeavor into crossfit I figured you might be able to answer this question.

For someone who is in decent shape and modest strength, how would you program running if someone's goal is to have a sub ~19 minute 3 mile time for the PFT?

I realize I could just start running and not worry about squats and deadlifts, but I'm coming off PRs and would like to retain some of the recently gained strength. For now, I was going to just add two additional days of conditioning to my 4 day upper/lower split (one short run 1.5 miles and one longer one 3 miles) until I could get the time to around 22 minutes. After I get there, I was going to drop a lifting day and add another running day to get down under 20 minutes.

Any particular way you would structure this to not impact strength too much?

Stats
    Mid 20s
    180lbs
    Squat 350
    Bench 300
    Deadlift 445

Bo,

How important is the running to you and what is your background in running? Also, why is your squat 50lbs off your bench?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Bo,

How important is the running to you and what is your background in running? Also, why is your squat 50lbs off your bench?
    Personally its not my cup of tea. But it's necessary for the service PFT, the closer I am to an 18 minute marker the better are my opportunities to be selected as an officer. I don't really have any competitive experience with running, but a few years ago (before I started doing HIIT) I would do it as a form of cardio, at which point I could regularly run 21 minute 3 miles. But I wasn't as into lifting back then either.

As far as the squat goes, its not for a lack of trying. It just seems to be a lift where injuries and nagging pains have been a limiting factor, where as the bench and deadlift have seen steady progress w/o major set backs.

Right on, that's helpful info. And what is your current 3 mile time and how long do you have to train?

Right on, that's helpful info. And what is your current 3 mile time and how long do you have to train?
    Clocked in at 26 minutes this weekend.

As far as time length goes, I know there are boards coming up in February which I doubt I can be super competitive for. But I would really like to nail the one that is at the end of Spring around May.

I think the most pragmatic approach looks something like this:

You get 2 training sessions per week for running. Session 1 is longer and slower than the goal distance/time. Session 2 is shorter and faster than the goal/distance time, but probably not too much shorter and faster since lifting weights represents a very anaerobic stimulus.

I'd probably start out with a 35 min run for Session 1, with an idea to build up to 50'ish minutes over time at a sustained pace, before shortening and quickening the distance and pace, respectively to more specifically train for the distance.

For session 2, I'd probably start with 400m repeats with 1:5 work to rest ratios and then move towards extending the work and decreasing the rest.

I think the most pragmatic approach looks something like this:

You get 2 training sessions per week for running. Session 1 is longer and slower than the goal distance/time. Session 2 is shorter and faster than the goal/distance time, but probably not too much shorter and faster since lifting weights represents a very anaerobic stimulus.

I'd probably start out with a 35 min run for Session 1, with an idea to build up to 50'ish minutes over time at a sustained pace, before shortening and quickening the distance and pace, respectively to more specifically train for the distance.

For session 2, I'd probably start with 400m repeats with 1:5 work to rest ratios and then move towards extending the work and decreasing the rest.
    Wow Jordan this is great thanks!

I'm guessing I should keep the calories hovering just above maintenance through this so that I can properly recover but not enough to be gaining a 1lb a week. I'll report back with improvements and impact on lifts later if you're interested.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Cousin Bo View Post
    Wow Jordan this is great thanks!

I'm guessing I should keep the calories hovering just above maintenance through this so that I can properly recover but not enough to be gaining a 1lb a week. I'll report back with improvements and impact on lifts later if you're interested.
    I don't think gaining any weight is going to help your cause and I'm not sure how strong you should expect to get while doing this too. Then again, there are way to many variables for me to comment on that will ultimately play a role in your outcomes. So, my stock recommendation would be to keep your intake at maintenance and maintain your weight.