starting strength gym

Thread: Calorie and Macro help for a 6ft5 lifter.

Post Calorie and Macro help for a 6ft5 lifter.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan, Sorry if this is a repost I can't find my original anywhere.
    Background and General Info: 19,Male, 6ft5-6ft6 and weighing 222lbs probably 14-18%BF. For a better Idea think the white Jon Jones, not very broad very long legs (you can fit my torso twice in my legs) and long arms (198-199cm reach). I used to be 352-3lbs when I Was 16, I was overweight / obese from the age of 9-16, I then wen't from 352-3lbs to 180lbs in 12months. I then lifted for about 3months went up to 205lbs and stopped lifting & have only started again in the last 10months. I've been tracking my Macros for the last 2weeks at 300/200/94 (C/P/F) = 2850Cals and eating this amount I maintain my weight of 222lbs.

Lifts: My lifts haven't gone up drastically in the last 10months probably from only eating maintenance / cutting some weight.
    Squat: My Squat went from a soul crushing 275lbs quarter squat to an easy (7-8 RPE) 260lbs at Parallel.
    Dead: My Deadlift went from a "cat back" 297lbs to 286.6lbs for 5x5 easily.
    Bench: I don't bench but I am willing to my 1rm always stays around 235-240lbs.
    OHP: My OHP went from 110lbs to 137.7lbs.
    Clean: A Near impossible, terrible technique 121lbs to a very easy 176lbs.

Question and Advice: My question is simply what calories do you think I should be eating to slowly put on some size and weight, I understand 222lbs for someone of my height is quite light and I obviously need to weigh more to be stronger and for my body to work better. Along with what calories / macros do you think I should be eating, what weight do you think I should try and become mentally okay with, obviously coming from an obese background watching the scale go up effects me emotionally and self confidence wise, which is something I'm working on. I have read TBAB but just wanted clarification for someone of my height and stature.

Thanks!, GC

If you're gaining weight at your current calorie intake then you're doing fine. If not, you'll need to add some carbs and fat. Also, your programming seems a little odd based on what you report. Have you done your novice progression unmolested? If no, I would do that.

Okay sweet, that is what I was planning on doing just getting a double check. I have not no I will be starting Monday. Thanks!

Sorry small follow up, I've been rereading TBAB and in it you state "I prefer a much more gradual approach along the lines of 10-30g of carbohydrates and 4-10g of fat." do you mean do that at the same time? or add one track progress and then add the other. Almost certainly doesn't matter and I'm over thinking it anyway just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by HaggersGravityChampion View Post
    Sorry small follow up, I've been rereading TBAB and in it you state "I prefer a much more gradual approach along the lines of 10-30g of carbohydrates and 4-10g of fat." do you mean do that at the same time? or add one track progress and then add the other. Almost certainly doesn't matter and I'm over thinking it anyway just curious.
    Either or both ways can work. For you, both.