starting strength gym
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 6 Month Challenge

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    Interesting hypertrophy program. Would you change anything during a bulk? And is there a reason why the press isn't switched with bench on day 3 as a "light" day?
    There is no light day, because this isn't HLM.

I wouldn't change anything during a bulk without more feedback.

Should be 9 to 12 reps I assume.
    No, it's 12 reps @ RPE 9.

I'm quite curious, how can hypertrophy occur during a long and big calorie deficit? Is it because the "pump" just blows air into the muscle (so to speak, not literally of course)?

Quote Originally Posted by Drone View Post
    Pendlay Rows- 12 @ 9, then 12 min AMRAP at same load in sets of 6
    Should be 9 to 12 reps I assume.
    Jordan 'splains the x 6 @ 8 thing here:

General Strength Training Template for the Intermediate/Advanced | Barbell Medicine

Is this meant to be run 3 days / week or in a 6-day cycle? (I.e. Day 6 OFF then repeat)

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post

No, it's 12 reps @ RPE 9.

Okay so Squat x 6 @ 8RPE, then 12mins AMRAP.

Despite reading these boards for years, I've never really seen much mention of RPE. I visited this page (Rating of Perceived Exertion - RPE) to find the following definition.

8RPE: Pushing to just short of concentric failure. The last rep may slow just a little but form should remain similar from the first rep to the last. If pushing to failure you would be able to do 1 or possibly 2 more repetitions.
    Okay so my current 5RM is probably right around 400. That's a true, pretty brutal 5RM on the squat. My upcoming intensity day for squat is 390.

By that definition, I'd be using... 385ish for your routine? The 6 reps aren't a problem. The 12mins of AMRAP with essentially my intensity day weight seems pretty terrible. Not only horrible, but I'm wondering if I could legitimately get through multiple triples of my ID weight without failing, or taking exceptionally long rest periods. It seems something like a 5x5 weight may be more appropriate, and useful for generating a pump? What do you think?

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    I'm quite curious, how can hypertrophy occur during a long and big calorie deficit? Is it because the "pump" just blows air into the muscle (so to speak, not literally of course)?
    It can't.

Quote Originally Posted by craze9 View Post
    Is this meant to be run 3 days / week or in a 6-day cycle? (I.e. Day 6 OFF then repeat)
    I'm not sure I understand your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenso View Post
    Okay so Squat x 6 @ 8RPE, then 12mins AMRAP.

Despite reading these boards for years, I've never really seen much mention of RPE. I visited this page
    This is the wrong definition. RPE 8 means you have 2 reps left in you at that weight. It should be heavy, but move pretty well.

Okay so my current 5RM is probably right around 400. That's a true, pretty brutal 5RM on the squat. My upcoming intensity day for squat is 390.

By that definition, I'd be using... 385ish for your routine? The 6 reps aren't a problem. The 12mins of AMRAP with essentially my intensity day weight seems pretty terrible. Not only horrible, but I'm wondering if I could legitimately get through multiple triples of my ID weight without failing, or taking exceptionally long rest periods. It seems something like a 5x5 weight may be more appropriate, and useful for generating a pump? What do you think?
    I think you'd probably be using ~335-355.

Out of curiosity, is this similar to the GPP template you were selling around Christmas? I unfortunately missed the deal as I had the flu all that week.

I am thinking of running the program listed in this thread starting next week (this week was a re-introductory week after not training for a week).

Is there a target range for # of total reps completed? Ex: 1 feeler set around @6.5, the top set @8, then AMRAP =~ 30 total reps

Quote Originally Posted by gtl View Post
    Out of curiosity, is this similar to the GPP template you were selling around Christmas? I unfortunately missed the deal as I had the flu all that week.

I am thinking of running the program listed in this thread starting next week (this week was a re-introductory week after not training for a week).

Is there a target range for # of total reps completed? Ex: 1 feeler set around @6.5, the top set @8, then AMRAP =~ 30 total reps
    It's somewhat similar, but not the same either.

No real target range, as this will vary significantly with who is running the plan. 30 reps seems reasonable, though you'll have to feel it out.

It's somewhat similar, but not the same either.

No real target range, as this will vary significantly with who is running the plan. 30 reps seems reasonable, though you'll have to feel it out.
    ok thanks!

starting strength coach development program
    It can't.
    I'm not sure I understand your question.
    After Day 5 -- Paused Squat, Incline Bench, Rows, Arms, Prowler -- is 1 day off taken or 2 days off, before the Day 1 workout is performed again?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast