starting strength gym

Thread: Would pushing the prowler exacerbate my hernia?

Default Would pushing the prowler exacerbate my hernia?

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    So a few months ago, I agitated a previous hernia injury I had when I was like 20 years old (nothing debilitating though) when doing squats, and I stopped training since then. I've never had it looked at or had surgery, but I plan to have it be looked at once my medical benefits at my new job kick in starting Jan 2nd 2017. Most likely actual surgery wouldn't start until a month or 2 after having it looked at. So in that few months, I gained weight without training, a good 15lbs or so which is a first for me ever in my life as I was one of those kids that could eat anything and not gain a single pound unless I was lifting in which case It'd be mostly muscle. I don't have that luxury anymore it seems, and I'm 29 years old now. So I wanted to get back into the swing of things and at least bring my weight down. My question is would it be safe enough to push the prowler for that purpose? Note I am not in actual pain until I lift something more than 200lbs from the ground or put that weight on my back.

It might be a problem, but I can't say from here without evaluating it. The risk is if it's a big defect that becomes incarcerated and then strangulated and that's a big emergent problem. If it's unstable and becomes unstable under load, then it'd be hard to say that pushing the prowler is completely safe you know?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    It might be a problem, but I can't say from here without evaluating it. The risk is if it's a big defect that becomes incarcerated and then strangulated and that's a big emergent problem. If it's unstable and becomes unstable under load, then it'd be hard to say that pushing the prowler is completely safe you know?
    Yeah, I understand. Well I'll try to give you an idea how serious or not serious it is. I'm pretty sure I remember getting it trying to max a squat when I was like 19 years old just screwing around. I couldn't stand back up and started feeling that burning sensation in my inner thigh/groin area. I am lifting right now, just started back at it because I'm tired of being a lazy slob regardless. I'm doing fine with regards to squats at 195lbs for 3 sets of 5 and my deadlift at 235lbs at a set of 5. Because I felt safe at those loads, I figured the prowler is worth a shot with a 45lb weight on it. No issues. My hernia is not affecting me right now; there's no pain whatsoever just doing my everyday tasks. Regardless, I know it's there, and it could pop up at higher loads. Funny thing is I had no indication of a hernia when I made my PR at 345lbs on my squats when I was nearing the end of my LP a couple years back. A few months ago though, at 295lbs for squats, I felt that burning sensation near my inner thigh/groin area again and got a huge scare and stopped lifting again. My theory is that I had more belly fat than 2 years ago and that might've affected it sooner into my LP at a lighter load. Anyway I know it's there, and I have health insurance now with Kaiser. I'll see about getting it looked at because I know for sure it's there and won't ever go away until something is done.

I'll tell you what though dude, I've just had some bad luck when it comes to lifting. Over the past 2 years, injuries just keep setting me back. If I hadn't had my first injury, I know I'd be well into some sort of intermediate program by now. I can never just seem to graduate from my novice progression, but that's a whole other psychological issue.