starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unintentional weight gain

Default Unintentional weight gain

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Despite spending the last year hoping to cut from 220-190, with the combination of final year university work, social work placement and also working evenings and weekends I had (due to mostly poor compliance and lack of exercise besides lifting) gained 25lb.

Clothes are starting to get tight (or not fit).

Can I just ask for some advice,

1) will I have at least gained some muscle so I've not wasted this time (My strength has at least increased to what it was before suffering a sports injury about this time last year that set me back).

2) what kcal and macros would you suggest for someone 6ft, 27 years old, male weighing 245lb who wants to lose some fat.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass! In 4 months I'll be finished and hopefully on the way to graduating!

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    Despite spending the last year hoping to cut from 220-190, with the combination of final year university work, social work placement and also working evenings and weekends I had (due to mostly poor compliance and lack of exercise besides lifting) gained 25lb.

Clothes are starting to get tight (or not fit).

Can I just ask for some advice,

1) will I have at least gained some muscle so I've not wasted this time (My strength has at least increased to what it was before suffering a sports injury about this time last year that set me back).

2) what kcal and macros would you suggest for someone 6ft, 27 years old, male weighing 245lb who wants to lose some fat.

Sorry to be a pain in the ass! In 4 months I'll be finished and hopefully on the way to graduating!
    Depends how fast you gained that weight. If it was in a month, probably not much muscle gained. If it was over the year- definitely some muscle gained. Then again, you said you didn't really train so that's hard to reconcile.....

I don't know what you should be eating because I don't know what you're eating now or what your training is like.

It was over a year, so hopefully some muscle gained.

I did train at least 3 times a week, trained with Madcow's routine for many months and got my strength back to what it was pre-injury almost at my peak.

I don't know how to set my kcal and macro's as quite honestly my compliance is bad and I will change my numbers on myfitnesspal almost weekly. I know its not good. ATM I have it set to 2400kcals, 200P, 220C and 80F.

I recently got a fitbit HR which I know won't be super accurate but I get around 7-10,000 steps a day and it estimates at my activity level etc I burn around 3200kcals a day average.
    I have just swapped to a PPL routine with added 30 mins of cardio 3 times a week, I am finding this a lot easier than the madcow's I was previously doing as I had stalled out on adding weight to the bar.

What's PPL?

I think it's reasonable to keep your macros where they are for 2 weeks and see how you respond. Then, adjust from there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    I don't know how to set my kcal and macro's as quite honestly my compliance is bad and I will change my numbers on myfitnesspal almost weekly. I know its not good.
    Hopefully this doesn't sound too condescending, but it doesn't matter what Jordan tells you if you're not going to comply with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    What's PPL?
    Push, Pull, Legs.

Push/Pull/Legs 2x a week

Chest/triceps
    XT - 10 mins
    Bench - 3x6-8 - 90k
    Inc DB bench - 2x8-10 - 35k
    Tricep pushdown - 2x8-10 - 25k
    Cardio

Back/biceps
    XT - 10 mins
    Lat pulldown - 3x8-10 - 75k
    Seated Row - 3x8-10 - 75k
    Alt bicep curl - 2x10-12 - 10k

Legs
    Bike warmup - 10 mins
    Squats - Ramped up to 1x6 - 140k
    Calf Raise - 3x10-12 - +30k
    Seated leg curl - 3x8 - 75k
    Bike cool down -

Been responding well in regards with Bench Press as now doing 3x8 for a lift I was finding heavy on 1x5 a few weeks ago.

Will hold the kcals and macros at 2400 - 200/220/80 for two weeks, try to be much stricter and then report back if that's ok.

What's PPL?
    Push, Pull, Legs – a bodybuilding three day body split program. Day 1: push exercises, day 2: pull exercises, day 3: leg exercises, rinse and repeat.

What exercises are "pulls"?

What exercises are "pulls"?

Lat pulldown - 3x8-10
    Seated Row - 3x8-10

Only started last week.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Hopefully this doesn't sound too condescending, but it doesn't matter what Jordan tells you if you're not going to comply with it.

Push, Pull, Legs.
    Hi Sean,

Not at all, I think a problem that adds to my poor compliance is my uncertainty of where I should be and changed it around so often.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast