starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question regarding my body composition

Default Question regarding my body composition

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan -

A few months back I asked you about whether I should cut down or keep gaining weight. I took your advice to keep gaining weight (using parts of TBAB article to set my macros) and I'm now sitting at 106-107kg [235 lbs], 19 years old, 6'2" tall. Current lifting stats if relevant are:

SQ: 405x5
    PR: 165x3
    DL: 395x3
    Bench: 230x3

I think at the time you mentioned for my height my most competitive BW would be 130+ kg.

However, I am uncomfortable with how I'm looking - I've developed quite a lot of fat, particularly around my stomach and just generally I'm starting to look a bit like a slob. This was never my goal; I totally understood that I needed to gain quite a lot of BW when I was on my novice LP considering I started around 160-170lbs, but surely it must be possible for me to continue getting strong without having heaps of fat everywhere.

I'm currently eating 4k calories a day: 260 P / 475 C / 120 F

I'm not sure if you do this, but I was wondering if I could possibly pay for a quick consult with you where I can get your honest opinion about whether I should just keep doing what I'm doing and getting stronger, or cut down this fat and start to look a bit more athletic (whether it be through macro alterations, cardio etc). I'm happy to pay for the full 3 months with you if you honestly think I'm too fat and can cut down whilst getting stronger. I just can't justify the ~$700 if you think I should just keep doing the same - I can do that myself.

I love getting stronger and want to continue my strength training (Texas method atm), but I just don't want to take my shirt off and feel like shit. I know the books sort of scoff at people who are concerned about the ABZZZZ, but I do want to look a bit better. If you can honestly help me I'm happy to pay for the 3 months. I just don't want to pay if you think I should just keep going. That's why I was thinking a quick consult where you looked at me and said yes/no would be good.

Any help would be great -
    Alex.

Alex,

Ultimately you are doing this whole thing for you, right? if you're not happy- I cannot convince you to be happy doing it. That said, I would wouldn't cut either. I would just keep training, slowly gaining bodyweight (maybe 2kg a month, tops) until TM runs out. Then I would get significantly more sophisticated with the nutritional and training approach and likely try and shed some body fat. But you're in the heart of it right now man. You could squat 500 in less than 6 weeks if you don't screw this up. That'd be AWESOME!

Keep going, but slowly.

Hey Jordan thanks for the reply.

I didn't mention that those are old PBs and I have actually run out my strength on all lifts (been doing this for the past 5-6 weeks). Sadly I only ended up with a 430 squat for a 1RM. No idea why my deadlifts are behind but only managed 415 there. 242 for bench and 170 for my press.

I think I would like to engage you to get my nutrition fixed up. How best do I go about this. I'm assuming now is the right time after having run out my strength on the TM for the first time and not really wanting to go for another cycle of it (just found it hard on my body and joints pushing limit weights each Friday). Like I said earlier I do really want to squat 500, then 600 one day, but surely it's possible for me to be both aesthetic and strong, even at 6ft 3.

The strength you gain now will be an asset to you for the rest of your life. Abs can be built (revealed?) later in life when you need to but the conditions you have to build strength right now, you will likely NEVER be able to recreate such a perfect situation for the rest of your lifting career.

As someone who picked up training later in life (after kids, marriage, job, decreasing testosterone, etc.), it would pain me to see someone waste this opportunity due to insecurity about their body. It is your life but if you are looking for advice this is mine: take comfort that you will lift far greater weights than most of us and lift on my friend.

Quote Originally Posted by gorazel View Post
    Hey Jordan thanks for the reply.

I didn't mention that those are old PBs and I have actually run out my strength on all lifts (been doing this for the past 5-6 weeks). Sadly I only ended up with a 430 squat for a 1RM. No idea why my deadlifts are behind but only managed 415 there. 242 for bench and 170 for my press.

I think I would like to engage you to get my nutrition fixed up. How best do I go about this. I'm assuming now is the right time after having run out my strength on the TM for the first time and not really wanting to go for another cycle of it (just found it hard on my body and joints pushing limit weights each Friday). Like I said earlier I do really want to squat 500, then 600 one day, but surely it's possible for me to be both aesthetic and strong, even at 6ft 3.
    You can email me at info@barbellmedicine.com. Honestly, it'd be more useful for you if I did the nutrition and the programming for you. I am certainly biased, but I think it works better that way and people seem to do pretty well when I'm at the helm

Alright Jordan you've got yourself another client.

I'll contact you this week. I'd much rather have you at the helm, for sure. It's probably about time anyway.

Cheers,
    Alex.

I think at the time you mentioned for my height my most competitive BW would be 130+ kg.

I've developed quite a lot of fat, particularly around my stomach and just generally I'm starting to look a bit like a slob. This was never my goal
    So what is your goal? Because Jordan's right. With as tall as you are, you would probably be most competitive at a very high bodyweight. But if competition isn't your goal, then you'll have to adjust accordingly. For instance, I'm taller than you (6'4"), and I fully realize I should be 300+ if I want to be as strong as I can possibly be. But I also realize passing my PT test would be impossible at that weight, so I have to make compromises.

I know the books sort of scoff at people who are concerned about the ABZZZZ, but I do want to look a bit better.
    Do what you want, man. The book shouldn't set your priorities for you. And there's nothing wrong with visible abs anyway. Look at some of Jordan's competition videos, you can see his abs through his singlet. Well, at least at the beginning, before he gets fat for bench.

I'm now sitting at 106-107kg [235 lbs], 19 years old, 6'2" tall.
    but surely it's possible for me to be both aesthetic and strong, even at 6ft 3.
    Wait, did you grow an inch over the weekend?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Honestly, it'd be more useful for you if I did the nutrition and the programming for you. I am certainly biased, but I think it works better that way and people seem to do pretty well when I'm at the helm
    Yeah, he's alright, I guess.

But honestly, I paid Jordan for programming and nutrition for a while and, even not taking full advantage of it, it still benefited me. I've continued to use a very similar program even after my time with Jordan was done.

See, another disgruntled customer here at JSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Herbison View Post
    Wait, did you grow an inch over the weekend?

Sorry yeah 6'2". Although I've shrunk a little since I started squatting, I swear.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    See, another disgruntled customer here at JSOC
    Joint Special Operations Command?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast