starting strength gym

Thread: Conflicting Goals as a Novice

Default Conflicting Goals as a Novice

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I want to first say thank you for all your posts and free content. I have spent the last month essentially reading your articles and posts due to a recommendation from Adam Skillin (two sessions so far).

As far as my progression, everything has been going great. My weight went from 220lb to 215lb, so about a pound of weight loss per week. My squat and DL went from 185lb to 295lb, maintaining the 10lb increase per workout. My bench is at 120lb and press is at 95lb. The reason why my pressing strength seems abnormally low is because of my scaphoid fracture: http://startingstrength.com/resource...ml#post1237159
    Also, due to my scaphoid fracture, I am not able do Power Cleans because I am unable to rack the bar (we've tried).

However, I did fail my last squat attempt on Friday, only managing to do 295x5, 295x3, 295x1. I even rested for the full eight minutes. I also noticed that my Press and DL got a lot harder after the squat too, though still managed to make progress. I also failed my Squat this Monday and Wednesday again at 295, but was able to get more total reps in. I am not sure if it is more beneficial for me to keep the same macros or start wearing a belt, or both.

I used your suggested macros for cutting (from To Be a Beast) as a starting point.
    Protein: 269g
    Carbs: 215
    Fat: 58g
    I started adding more carbs (20g per day) this week to help with getting my squat up, but it didn't really work.

As far as my meal timing goes:
    8AM: Whey (2 Scoops) + Creatine (3–5g)
    Noon: Lunch
    4PM: Whey (2 Scoops)
    5:30PM: BCAA (10g)
    5:30PM - 7:30PM: Training
    7:30PM: BCAA (10g)
    8:00PM: Supper

I wanted to try your recomp guide but the To Be a Beast article is currently down right now.

However, I recently heard you say from one of the podcasts (either from The Art of Manliness or Starting Strength podcast) that it is impossible to add muscle mass while losing fat. And that if you really want to lose fat, don't do Starting Strength, because the program doesn't support it. So this is where I feel conflicted, because I thought the idea of recomp is to do both at the same time. I am 5'8", 215lb, with probably around +30~35% bodyfat (based on visual). I really don't want to add more bodyfat (currently have GERD that is associated with being fat), but I do want to get stronger. Is there a way for me to change my nutrition where I can accomplish both? What do you think is the best course of action for me to get healthier as a person, because right now, I do feel that my obesity probably takes more precedence than my strength, if I have to choose one over the other.

Thanks.

You don't need to gain weight to get stronger. You need to recover better, i.e. sleep, stress, etc., reset, and then adjust programming when it stops working again.

You cannot accomplish both, unfortunately. I would also have you switch your protein and carb numbers.

Thanks for your reply, Jordan. Much is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    You don't need to gain weight to get stronger. You need to recover better, i.e. sleep, stress, etc., reset, and then adjust programming when it stops working again.

You cannot accomplish both, unfortunately. I would also have you switch your protein and carb numbers.
    So, I think the OP may be overthinking this and Rip's "A Clarification" article may be relevant.

Also, yes, OP, wear a belt. Please.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post

So for Elton being at 215 lbs now that's true. But is this completely wrong for a skinny dude? Let's say 6 ft and 165 lbs doing 160lb squats? It seems like the general consensus is to eat much more in that case and gain way more weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Polishdude20 View Post
    So for Elton being at 215 lbs now that's true. But is this completely wrong for a skinny dude? Let's say 6 ft and 165 lbs doing 160lb squats? It seems like the general consensus is to eat much more in that case and gain way more weight.
    Yes, it is completely wrong in a different context, i.e. a skinny dude.

Is it time to switch up programming to advanced novice or possibly even an intermediate program like HLM for squats?

There's also an excellent thread and discussion on different approaches to stalling in the Programming section called "SS SQUATS becoming Grindfest!"

I feel like that thread is a gold mine of experience from people who have gotten fairly strong following SS LP, TM and HLM.

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Is it time to switch up programming to advanced novice or possibly even an intermediate program like HLM for squats?

There's also an excellent thread and discussion on different approaches to stalling in the Programming section called "SS SQUATS becoming Grindfest!"

I feel like that thread is a gold mine of experience from people who have gotten fairly strong following SS LP, TM and HLM.
    Maybe, but probably not just yet IMO.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    So, I think the OP may be overthinking this and Rip's "A Clarification" article may be relevant.
    Thanks for the suggestion! The article helped me tremendously.