starting strength gym

Thread: What's happens to my calorie requirement

Default What's happens to my calorie requirement

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    This has been baffling me for past 2-3 weeks.
    Please help Jordan

Looking at My training log for past 24 weeks, my calories where initially 3500kcal I weighed 230lb then I increased my calories to 4000-4200 to support weight gain and spur intermediate progression, and help get rid(recover) of some of the fatigue built up during the novice stage. My novice stage finished at 3x5 350lb squats perfect form.

Then moved on to intermediate which now has me doing 2x2,singles of 400lb squat. In the last few weeks I burned out I was regressing, I put the issue to programming issues. Volume squats of 330lb which is relatively easy, the night after I felt under recoverd....really strange feeling the same I get when I'm trying to cut weight. I kept track of my weight. Which was stable but the only issue is when i moved most of my macros to carbs from fat usually it has a effect on the scales due to water retention the next day in a predicatable fashion. However this wasn't happening...weight stayed the same or gone 1kg....

After doing heavy lower of 2x2 400lb two days ago felt really Leatheragic tired etc. Next day.

So I went from 4000kcal to 5000kcal due to night out... My god I feel so refreshed today full of energy and did my volume presses etc this early hours ......

All along I thought fatigue/under recoverd issue was programming issue, and I overlooked the nutrition especially calories so my question is why isn't 4000kcal isn't enough anymore.... Could it be the fact that my squat has gone from 200lb x5 400lb ....?

It's more likely that your fatigue/recovery has been undulating less predictably than before than a single day of 1000 extra calories (and no other changes) made the difference. Also, volume presses probably aren't as sensitive to fatigue/recovery as any of the intensity work or lower body volume.

Ok quick update I I had nearly 6,000 calories after upper day volume. And my weight was 116.6kg, usually I would expect a larger than that...swing....what's happening....it seems my body is able to tolerate food far better than it did. Before as a big guy 250-255lb before if I ate 5000 I would see a huge swing on scales next day...why is it suddenly I am able to tolerate food better? 250/255lb 5'7 trains 4 days.

You're missing the forest for the trees. None of this day to day stuff matters much when it comes to management. You're normally 250-255 and 5'7 and after one day of overeating are now 257. That's not a big deal to me.