starting strength gym
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Are there benefits for "easygainers" ?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan, Would you actually say that OP is an easy gainer?

6' and 174 lbs? That's skinny with a belly.

Peter, you don't look or sound like an easy gainer to me. Sounds like you are terrified to eat for fear of putting on weight. Consequently NFTP. Cutting while doing SS? NFTP.

Sorry, special snowflake syndrome IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkroman View Post
    Interesting. After that answer you gave me I did some more research and it seems that RMR (resting metabolic rate) is based more on total bodyweight and not just LBM. Even increases in bodyfat have an indirect increase in RMR due to organs growing somewhat in proportion to increase in lipid storage. In any case, I don't know what your thoughts are about this. Maybe you can give some of your insight into this and confirm if this is more or less accurate? And thoughts on the whole TDEE thing?
    I'm not sure of your question, Darkroman. As body surface area (and mass) increases, RMR goes up period. I don't think there's really anything nuanced here.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    Jordan, Would you actually say that OP is an easy gainer?

Peter, you don't look or sound like an easy gainer to me. Sounds like you are terrified to eat for fear of putting on weight. Consequently NFTP. Cutting while doing SS? NFTP.

Sorry, special snowflake syndrome IMO.
    He just seems like an untrained individual to me, which doesn't make him a bad person or anything- it just means he needs to train and stop reading stuff about easy gainers, hard gainers, and other untrained people who need to stay off the Internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post

Peter, you don't look or sound like an easy gainer to me. Sounds like you are terrified to eat for fear of putting on weight.
    Exactly. Of course I am. I've been up to 100 kg (max in my life) and I looked like a potato on toothpicks.
    I've been a chubby kid before growing taller, I've been bullied for most of my teenage years. I was often out with the same friends, eating the same stuff. All skinny kids eating twice as I was, and no matter what I was gaining weight.

Most of my fat accumulates on my belly area, making me look like an african kid (no disrespect). I've always been the weak guy with a belly. In the photo I posted I'm in my best and proudest physical shape ever.

I'm sorry I'm disrespecting this forum saying that I want to lose fat first but until I sorted these emotional issues and got rid of my belly fat (that has always been there since I can remember) I'll never progress in the right direction. And I'm quite having a hard time doing that.

And sorry Alchemist but I don't think I'm a special snowflake. I just see ectos and tips on how to gain weight everywhere and I'm having trouble looking for advice for someone that has the opposite problem. Unless you think I'm making this shit up and I'm secretly overeating.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    He just seems like an untrained individual to me, which doesn't make him a bad person or anything- it just means he needs to train and stop reading stuff about easy gainers, hard gainers, and other untrained people who need to stay off the Internet.
    Certainly didn't mean to imply he was a bad person or anything of the ilk. You articulated better. Thanks.

I'm not sure of your question, Darkroman. As body surface area (and mass) increases, RMR goes up period. I don't think there's really anything nuanced here.
    It wasn't as much of a question of what, rather a question of verification. I always thought RMR was mostly affected by LBM and bodyfat had barely anything to do with it. However, with what I've recently found out, and per your confirmation, that is indeed not the case.

LOL, there's a lot of this going around these days. I remember you telling me years ago on this forum "you need more exposure to the lifts." It was like a slap in the face, but also a wake up call. My paradigm was based on what I saw in the globogyms and what was viewed as "strong" in those places. I wasn't a "power lifter" so why did I need a 400 pound squat. Needless to say, several years later, my perception has shifted. Problem is, this is a paradigm that only seems to change via experience...

Quote Originally Posted by crookedfinger View Post
    LOL, there's a lot of this going around these days. I remember you telling me years ago on this forum "you need more exposure to the lifts." It was like a slap in the face, but also a wake up call. My paradigm was based on what I saw in the globogyms and what was viewed as "strong" in those places. I wasn't a "power lifter" so why did I need a 400 pound squat. Needless to say, several years later, my perception has shifted. Problem is, this is a paradigm that only seems to change via experience...
    It's strange isn't it? Hope all is well there my friend

Are these kilos? What am I missing?
    Nope, lbs. I'm just old I guess...

Quote Originally Posted by Galgenstrick View Post
    Nope, lbs. I'm just old I guess...
    Well, I'm just wondering how your numbers did what you report if you were doing the program you know?

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter1989 View Post
    Exactly. Of course I am. I've been up to 100 kg (max in my life) and I looked like a potato on toothpicks.
    I've been a chubby kid before growing taller, I've been bullied for most of my teenage years. I was often out with the same friends, eating the same stuff. All skinny kids eating twice as I was, and no matter what I was gaining weight.

Most of my fat accumulates on my belly area, making me look like an african kid (no disrespect). I've always been the weak guy with a belly. In the photo I posted I'm in my best and proudest physical shape ever.

I'm sorry I'm disrespecting this forum saying that I want to lose fat first but until I sorted these emotional issues and got rid of my belly fat (that has always been there since I can remember) I'll never progress in the right direction. And I'm quite having a hard time doing that.

And sorry Alchemist but I don't think I'm a special snowflake. I just see ectos and tips on how to gain weight everywhere and I'm having trouble looking for advice for someone that has the opposite problem. Unless you think I'm making this shit up and I'm secretly overeating.
    It's ok. There is nothing wrong or different about you. I didnt get to see your picture but if I'm reading it right you probably look like almost every other untrained young male I see these days - soft and no muscles. You are completely normal my friend! Stop worrying!

There's enough lifting and nutrition advice here. Follow it consistently, for a long time. You'll be fine.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast