starting strength gym
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Maximim protein per meal?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunk View Post
    An American being sarcastic and confusing another American with it.
    I wouldn't necessarily describe it as "sarcasm" as much as "fact-tricking". Jordan is incredibly knowledgeable in this realm and could make literally anything sound believable to an uneducated layman (like myself).

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    220g protein per day would net a person somewhere in the range of 30-40g protein per 4x/day from protein sources and cover their trace protein intake too, which comes from carbs and fats.
    Is it correct to infer that 35(?)% to 50% of daily protein should come from animal sources?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim K View Post
    I mean, what if the whey diet just included eating sugar and butter until the total calories equal? Not something anyone would do in practice obviously...
    Right, so we don't really need to discuss it anymore unless you actually do that because since it doesn't happen, it's not worth talking about, right?

It sounds like you're saying that the 1g/lb of bodyweight guideline works because in a normal diet there is a mixture of complete proteins which can spike MPS and build muscle on their own and trace proteins which contribute to the process but in themselves are not sufficient to initiate it and bring it to completion.
    Pretty much.

It sounds like if all your protein intake was of the complete variety then you wouldn't really need 1g/lb to get the same effect.
    But it won't be.

Quote Originally Posted by stejor View Post
    Maybe I'm misunderstanding what Tim K is saying, but I think you could have two scenarios like this as an example for someone eating 3200 calories a day:

Four meals a day of 40g whey (160 calories) and 640 calories of carbs and fat with minimal trace protein (maybe they're doing something weird like shots of honey and olive oil).

VS

Four meals a day of mixed foods with each meal consisting of 55g protein (220 calories), 100g carbs (400 calories), 20g fat (180 calories), but with the protein coming from sources that don't have a leucine content as high as that of whey.
    There would be minimal difference in protein synthesis at the level of the muscle.

Ultimately, the question (as I understand it) is this: Should the goal be to hit a particular protein intake, or should the goal be to hit 4g of leucine every four hours or so?
    Both.

Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    Is it correct to infer that 35(?)% to 50% of daily protein should come from animal sources?
    At least.

You guys know that protein is very satiating, right? Having a higher protein level can help a lot with hunger, thus compliance. Plus, the older you get, the more protein you need to spike MPS.

Also, isn't it true that excess protein pretty much does not get turned into fat, whereas excess carbs can be turned into fat and stored? Another reason to keep the protein higher in the case of excess calories?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Right, so we don't really need to discuss it anymore unless you actually do that because since it doesn't happen, it's not worth talking about, right?

But it won't be.
    Just trying to think through an extreme example to better understand how things work at different points along the spectrum of what someone might actually do in practice.

You didn't respond directly to this statement but based on your replies to me and stejor it sounds like this would be correct:

As the percentage of total protein that is "complete" increases, the total daily requirement would decrease, to a point.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by schmatt View Post
    Also, isn't it true that excess protein pretty much does not get turned into fat, whereas excess carbs can be turned into fat and stored? Another reason to keep the protein higher in the case of excess calories?
    This is mostly true, except that the other dietary constituents will just be stored instead if calories are too high.

Just trying to think through an extreme example to better understand how things work at different points along the spectrum of what someone might actually do in practice.
    Yea I just don't think that you can do that if it's not a real situation because then it makes you believe things that aren't true.

I do agree with your statement about complete protein and daily requirements, however.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234