starting strength gym
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: question about a programming recommendation you gave during a recomp

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Honestly, my recommendation would be to not cut just yet. You're still LP'ing very well and I'd wait until Advanced novice stopped working.
    Thanks.

First of all, question: Would you recommend maintaining weight at this point, or is it OK to gain a few more pounds? I want to eventually get down to around 15% bodyfat, so I don't want to go overboard with weight/fat gain.

Second, comments: I ran LP about 2 years ago when I was traveling 2 weeks a month, and never made the transition to intermediate. This time around, things are going a lot better. I'm at or past previous PRs in everything but the squat, and I'm 5 lbs. away there.

I may have jumped the gun with that post. I had a couple of bad workouts where everything was a grind. Then I had one of those workouts where you're double and triple checking plate math because everything seems so easy.

Point being: It's amazing the difference sleeping in the same bed every night and being able to recover properly makes.

So this is what I am understanding:
    1. When losing weight, you lose both muscle and fat
    2. When gaining weight, you gain both muscle and fat
    3. When your weight is stable, you are neither losing or gaining any muscle or fat
    4. The rate of muscle/fat loss/gain is influenced by the amount of surplus/deficit, hence you prefer to add/subtract 15g carbs and 5g fats at a time.

In previous threads, you suggest people with body fat % over 20% to just maintain weight on the LP. Does this mean during the LP, I can get stronger without adding skeletal muscle?

Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Thanks.

First of all, question: Would you recommend maintaining weight at this point, or is it OK to gain a few more pounds? I want to eventually get down to around 15% bodyfat, so I don't want to go overboard with weight/fat gain.
    Probably okay to gain a few more pounds IMO.

Point being: It's amazing the difference sleeping in the same bed every night and being able to recover properly makes.
    This. So much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elton Wong View Post
    3. When your weight is stable, you are neither losing or gaining any muscle or fat
    4. The rate of muscle/fat loss/gain is influenced by the amount of surplus/deficit, hence you prefer to add/subtract 15g carbs and 5g fats at a time.

In previous threads, you suggest people with body fat % over 20% to just maintain weight on the LP. Does this mean during the LP, I can get stronger without adding skeletal muscle?
    1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Pretty much, unless it is actually changing.
    4) The amount of surplus or deficit contributes, certainly, sure.

You can get stronger without adding muscle mass, yes, but most people "who maintain" end up gaining a few lbs or, if losing a few lbs, were overweight previously and untrained so there's a brief period where you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by cph View Post
    Thanks.

Probably okay to gain a few more pounds IMO.

This. So much this.

Quote Originally Posted by Elton Wong View Post

1) Yes
    2) Yes
    3) Pretty much, unless it is actually changing.
    4) The amount of surplus or deficit contributes, certainly, sure.

You can get stronger without adding muscle mass, yes, but most people "who maintain" end up gaining a few lbs or, if losing a few lbs, were overweight previously and untrained so there's a brief period where you can gain muscle and lose fat at the same time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123