starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The dreaded food coma

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Is there a correlation with food coma and obesity? Back in November at 44 inch around the navel and at 220lbs, I use to get both food coma and GERD from eating just two slices of pizza. Right now at 38 inch around the navel and maintaining 200lbs, both food coma and GERD has stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Elton Wong View Post
    Is there a correlation with food coma and obesity? Back in November at 44 inch around the navel and at 220lbs, I use to get both food coma and GERD from eating just two slices of pizza. Right now at 38 inch around the navel and maintaining 200lbs, both food coma and GERD has stopped.
    I'm not sure. I assume if you were eating bigger meals then, it's more likely to get food coma. Hyperproduction of acid with obesity is not something I'm aware of, though it's possible. GERD with obesity tends to be mechanical mostly though again I think there are lots of unknowns here.

I don't get food coma, I just get hot and sweat.

For people that experience food coma, how long before training should they eat? Or are there any foods or amounts of foods that should be avoided so that training isn't hindered?

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    For people that experience food coma, how long before training should they eat? Or are there any foods or amounts of foods that should be avoided so that training isn't hindered?
    I have no hard and fast rule for this and as you know, the time from meal to training is more preference than anything else.

High fat foods should be avoided since it slows gastric emptying to a degree.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I have no hard and fast rule for this and as you know, the time from meal to training is more preference than anything else.

High fat foods should be avoided since it slows gastric emptying to a degree.
    So it slows gastric emptying or?.... In the previous page you said large amounts of fat is linked to gastric dumping

Quote Originally Posted by Maties Hofstede View Post
    So it slows gastric emptying or?.... In the previous page you said large amounts of fat is linked to gastric dumping
    So, you have to be able to not get tied to a "if this, then that" kind of trap when it comes to physiology because humans don't usually play like that.

A moderate amount of fat will slow emptying. A large amount of fat will cause it to dump quickly. This depends on quite a few things, as you might expect.

There are no hard and fast rules.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    So, you have to be able to not get tied to a "if this, then that" kind of trap when it comes to physiology because humans don't usually play like that.....

There are no hard and fast rules.
    This should be in bold on the front page of this forum.

I heard there was a connection between insulin sensitivity and "food coma", as well as a connection between bf levels and insulin sensitivity. Could this be what the OP is talking about? Or is this pretty much not applicable

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by tfranc View Post
    I heard there was a connection between insulin sensitivity and "food coma", as well as a connection between bf levels and insulin sensitivity. Could this be what the OP is talking about? Or is this pretty much not applicable
    Nope.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12