starting strength gym

Thread: Total calories from protein (TBAB)

Question Total calories from protein (TBAB)

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan

Reading through TBAB again and as part of the measured novice you say:

“I like to keep protein levels between 25-35% of the diet most of the time when talking about gaining weight. I’m starting Johnny off right at 35% of total calories coming from protein. When this percentage gets close to that lower end I’d bump up his protein by 25g increments and on that week and leave the fat alone (not add an additional 10g of fat).”

Johnny’s macros are 220/500/100 (~3800kcal), which puts protein at 23% of total calories from protein. 35% of calories from protein would be 330g. Please can you clarify?

Thanks

When I updated the article, there has been some reformatting issues. 23% is close enough to 25% for my tastes. Sorry for the confusion. Never eat 330g of protein per day.

Sorry if I'm asking the same question again:

25-35% of total calories (3800kcal in this case), corresponds to 220-330g of protein. You have Johnny eating 220g of protein and say that you are starting him at 35% and that you will increase when the proportion gets closer to 25% - but he is already at 25%, not 35%.

Based on your last response I suspect the percentage range of 25-35% is wrong. Can you clarify what the top and bottom range should be for this case?

Thanks again

I would have him start at 220 and maybe move him up towards 250, tops, if his caloric intake got super high. I don't have a percentage range really because I never use them, honestly.