starting strength gym

Thread: Arthritis

Default Arthritis

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan - I had shoulder surgery this week to correct impingement and "clean up" "wear and tear". The surgery went well but the surgeon noted that my arthritis was far worse than he thought. He commented that I have the shoulder of a 70 year old (I am 39).

I am concerned that I am headed toward a shoulder replacement at this rate. I wanted to get your thoughts on whether there is anything I can do to slow the progression (medically, diet, supplements, exercise, etc) or if you would recommend changing my weight training approach (I had hoped to go back to heavy compound lifting following my recovery).

I am not looking for medical advice - just hoping for thoughts I may be able to use to facilitate a discussion with my doctor.

Thanks for your help.

Stern,

Thanks for the message and hope you're doing well currently. As far as the cause of your shoulder issue, it'd be hard to say from here without more information. Was the official diagnosis impingement? If so, who made the diagnosis? Then, you mention arthritis- do you have a diagnosis of arthritis? Lastly, what procedure was done when you say "surgery"? Details are important here.

As far as medically, I have no immediate suggestions until the above are answered. Diet wise, it depends on your height, weight, training status, body composition, and goals you know?

Exercise wise, without knowing the surgical history I'd be hard pressed to say much at this time soooo, yea, I'm going to need more history my friend!