starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pocad

Default Pocad

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    In what universe is eating a pan of cake a day drenched in olive oil an effective means of improving strength, let alone Wilks score, in an advanced lifter?

Quote Originally Posted by skjill View Post
    In what universe is eating a pan of cake a day drenched in olive oil an effective means of improving strength, let alone Wilks score, in an advanced lifter?
    If they need to gain weight and it results in them getting stronger more than them gaining weight. It's not my typical advice, but hey- you did post a snarky comment here and wanted to be validated for it. So, I'll validate it outside of the instance I mentioned above.

Fair enough, but in what circumstances might that occur?

Fair enough, but in what circumstances might that occur?
    In a case where someone who otherwise wasn't gaining weight, but who (after gaining weight) was much stronger and subsequently had a better Wilks score. That's the circumstance and one that is not too uncommon. Certainly not enough to warrant your original post in my opinion. Tolerance, my friend.

Oh, I really didn't mean anything by it! Sorry about that. Are you saying you won't know until you try?

Oh, I really didn't mean anything by it! Sorry about that. Are you saying you won't know until you try?
    I'm saying that fear of gaining weight may keep folks understrong indefinitely comared to their potential, but if there are risks and benefits to gaining as well as not.

What I want to know is in what universe is cake covered in oil preferred over ice cream covered with chocolate syrup? I can eat that until there's no more to be eaten!

That reminds me - Jordan, have you seen John Meadows interview with Dave Tate where he talks about gaining weight J.M. Blakely style? It's pretty epic

The risk, aside from pants not fitting, being that rapid weight gain might not increase Wilks at all, or even strength to a significant degree. Excluding novices or those that won't eat real food, who would likely benefit from something like this?

starting strength coach development program
    The risk, aside from pants not fitting, being that rapid weight gain might not increase Wilks at all, or even strength to a significant degree. Excluding novices or those that won't eat real food, who would likely benefit from something like this?
    That is a risk, but there is also a potential benefit from rapid weight gain leading to an increase in Wilks. I gained 60lbs in a year when I started training and squatted 500, pulled 545, and benched 365. I'd be fatter for a year 10/10 times to get strong quickly instead of putzing around at 180 working on my sets at 275.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast