starting strength gym

Thread: Changes in approach

Default Changes in approach

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I recently purchased Bill Stars "The Strongest Shall Survive" as well as "SS 3rd ed" and "PPFST".

The advice for nutrition in TSSS is to eat around 100g carbs a day and for as low as 60g is trying to diet, and losing weight is all about cutting carbs.
    Obviously this is very different advice from what you often give Jordan where you seem to suggest higher carbs and low fat intake.

I recall recently watching a podcast between yourself and rip and he said similar to Starr about eating a ton of steak and cabbage only if he wants to lose some lbs (although he does say it effects his training).

How come there has been such a change over the years?
    Is the low carb version worth trying for someone who was struggled with compliance on a calorie reduced diet with low fat and moderate carb intake?

How come there has been such a change over the years?
    I don't know if there has been, really.

Is the low carb version worth trying for someone who was struggled with compliance on a calorie reduced diet with low fat and moderate carb intake?
    Yes IMO it is.

Well that's re-assuring.

As you recommended I have started back on the SS programme 3x a week and will continue as long as possible then swap to HLM.

I've got my macros down as 220P/60C/140F.

Does everything look good? I've been trying it for 2 days now, not hungry at all. Biggest issue is trying not to eat when bored and also when junk is in front of your face. Did a weekend shift at the kids home I work and there's junk food everywhere!

That's significantly higher fat and lower carb than I'd recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    That's significantly higher fat and lower carb than I'd recommend.
    What would you recommend?

Probably on day 3 now, compliance is much better and hunger is right down.

I actually felt pretty crappy in training tonight!

Looking at TBAB should I go with the 11.83kcal per lb you recommend putting me at 2800, or the 13 kcal per Lb recommended for the "fluffy novice", putting me on about 3100.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    What would you recommend?

Probably on day 3 now, compliance is much better and hunger is right down.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    I actually felt pretty crappy in training tonight!

Looking at TBAB should I go with the 11.83kcal per lb you recommend putting me at 2800, or the 13 kcal per Lb recommended for the "fluffy novice", putting me on about 3100.
    These posts were like 150 minutes apart. That bad huh? If you read TBAB you know I don't advocate low carb interventions for training. I don't know if 2800 vs 3100 cal makes a difference because I don't know what you were eating previously and I'm not sure you do either. So, just pick one

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    These posts were like 150 minutes apart. That bad huh? If you read TBAB you know I don't advocate low carb interventions for training. I don't know if 2800 vs 3100 cal makes a difference because I don't know what you were eating previously and I'm not sure you do either. So, just pick one
    Yer I felt like a bit of an idiot writing the second post. One is before training and the second is after.

The high fat low carb I found significantly easier for compliance. Lack of hunger etc.

My training session sucked though.
    I'm back on SS 3x a week as suggested.

I finish my degree in 7 weeks so will have more time to recover. I have 5 months then until I'm best man at a family wedding and would like to fit into my suit 😂

Will try to stick with the 2800 and do a bit of cardio. Hope you don't mind if I report back.

starting strength coach development program
    I think if you have 7 months prior to your degree being finished, I would just do SS, no cardio, and not eat low carb. After that, which may be when you finish your SS progression- you can do the conditioning you want and cut calories.