starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight Gain via Anti-Psych Drugs

Default Good answer....

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    I agree with Jordan.
    Quetiapin mainly increases bodyweight through increase in appetite. That means it can be controlled by the usual means - diet and exercise (in your case even better: training). This sucks, as the drug makes something that is hard for most people (weight control) even harder, but it can be done. The good news is that it's not a drastically altered metabolism that causes the weight gain.
    I wouldn't be too quick to try out another drug if you have one that helps and has tolerable side effetcs. There is no guarantee another drug will be any better for you, and it might be worse. If the weight gain (during an LP as well) is the only side effect, I wouldn't switch drugs at this point, but rather control the diet.

(For the record, I'm a MD, child & adolescent psychiatrist and senior staff member in a large center for mental health.)
    have to do some cardio too

Quote Originally Posted by Krypto View Post
    Well... you and I know that diet and training are generally the best way to control your weight, and improve your health. That said, how many patients out of ALL PATIENTS ever stick to that advice? Not very many, no matter what the ailment. So yes, you're right. Mental health patients, as a group, usually have more difficulties with such lifestyle interventions.

A doctor wants to help. The only thing he has control over is the medication he prescribes, so maybe some do that a bit too often or quick. But I think changing meds too soon or too often involves risks (the medical risks are obvious) - one that is easily overlooked is the signal to the patient: the drug is the problem and the solution, treatment equals drug management, and your behaviour is not important.
    Focusing too much on the drugs counteracts all non-pharmacological therapy.
    Excellent, Krypto. I appreciate your response and for sharing

Quote Originally Posted by Mainstream View Post
    have to do some cardio too
    That seems pretty reductionist considering the discussion going on, Mainstream.

I'm partially to blame for the weight gain. I have been eating a lot myself trying to drive my strength up. I got up to 240 @ 6'1. We had been eating carry out 2-3 times a week( it was convenient after training in the evenings) and who knows how many calories we were consuming. We've since made some changes, I'm grilling a lot more of lean meat, so now in the middle of the night she is munching on a chicken breast rather than peanut butter. We also cut back her dosage of the drug. She was previously taking 200mgs at night, now she's cut back to about a third of that. Manic symptoms are starting to come back though, but nothing to intense yet. We are trying to find a balance between these drugs. A state where she isn't lethargic and hungry all of the time, but also where she isn't " riding on the edge ". It seems to be a delicate balance.

Quote Originally Posted by BGish1984 View Post
    I'm partially to blame for the weight gain. I have been eating a lot myself trying to drive my strength up. I got up to 240 @ 6'1. We had been eating carry out 2-3 times a week( it was convenient after training in the evenings) and who knows how many calories we were consuming. We've since made some changes, I'm grilling a lot more of lean meat, so now in the middle of the night she is munching on a chicken breast rather than peanut butter. We also cut back her dosage of the drug. She was previously taking 200mgs at night, now she's cut back to about a third of that. Manic symptoms are starting to come back though, but nothing to intense yet. We are trying to find a balance between these drugs. A state where she isn't lethargic and hungry all of the time, but also where she isn't " riding on the edge ". It seems to be a delicate balance.
    Good luck to you both. If you need an opinion, you can PM me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12