starting strength gym

Thread: Advice to a Case 2

Default Advice to a Case 2

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hello Jordan. I would really appreciate some help.

I'm essentially like the "Case #2" in your "To Be A Beast" article, with a slight twist.

So, I've been doing SS, but because of several failures it took me 10 months instead of 3-4 to get my lifts up to a decent number (Squat: 315x3, DL 285x3, Bench 192.5x3, Press 110x3).
    In those 10 months, i gained 40lbs of bodyweight, and my bodyfat% went up to around 20-22% at a bodyweight of 190lbs. At that point I had had enough of SS.

So I did what you adviced Johnny against in your article, and started a cut that has now been going on for almost 2 months. I'm down to 180lbs, probably at 17% BF.
    After reading your article, I realize that I've probably messed up. I realize that maybe I don't have enough muscle mass yet for a cut to make me look good. My plan was to pursue a more bodybuilding-oriented program after my cut, but after reading your article and identifying myself with the bros who ditched the program to get lean, I'm not sure what to do.

I guess my goals are both physique and strength-oriented, but I'm afraid of getting in a caloric surplus again, 'cause that failed LP-attempt was not nice to my BF% and general look.

So, where should I go from here?

Oh, and I'm 6'0", 21 years old.

It kind of sounds like you tweaked SS into a low volume, low strength developing, low hypertrophy developing program and the last few months of it probably were less productive than you'd want them to have.

I think that switching to intermediate programming likely holds increased strength gainzZz, hypertrophy (only if you're gaining weight) increases, and ultimately development as a lifter. You're 6'0- you should probably be thinking about 220-240 my friend.

So, I'd recommend a TM split method, HLM, or similar- eat such that your weight is going up 1/4lb per week or so, and readjust your perspective if you can so you're not pressured into being skinny.

Yeah, sorry, I should have clarified: I did SS as written (except food) for 10 months, then switched to HLM two months ago and began my cutting on the HLM program.

I understand that a 225 BW would be optimal for powerlifting (right?), but I'm not interested in powerlifting meets.

Okay, so you're saying I shouldn't be worried about getting too fat if I'm beginning a caloric surplus (resulting in 1/4lb of BW per week) when my BF% is around 17%?

Also, would a gain of only 1/4lb of BW per week (aka. leanbulking) really be enough to sustain strength increases? I'm sorry if I should know this, but it just seems to me that the caloric surplus should be larger if strength increases is the goal? Or am I completely wrong?

I'll try to reassess my views on bodyfat, but I used to be fat earlier in my life, so I have a rather hostile attitude towards increases in BF%.

Hey Jordan
    I'm in a relatively similar situation (fluffy intermediate).
    In this case you are recommending a very slow linear bulk. Are there cases where doing a faster bulk with a couple cuts in between would be more efficient towards achieving the same goal?

Quote Originally Posted by Bavnemand View Post
    Okay, so you're saying I shouldn't be worried about getting too fat if I'm beginning a caloric surplus (resulting in 1/4lb of BW per week) when my BF% is around 17%?
    Correct.

Also, would a gain of only 1/4lb of BW per week (aka. leanbulking) really be enough to sustain strength increases? I'm sorry if I should know this, but it just seems to me that the caloric surplus should be larger if strength increases is the goal? Or am I completely wrong?
    If programming is correct, yes in this instance.

Quote Originally Posted by kanahan View Post
    Hey Jordan
    I'm in a relatively similar situation (fluffy intermediate).
    In this case you are recommending a very slow linear bulk. Are there cases where doing a faster bulk with a couple cuts in between would be more efficient towards achieving the same goal?
    Yea I mean ultimately it depends how people respond and that guides management so there is nothing cut and dry here IMO. I do think that for non skinny, non novice, yet still underweight folks who are strenght training- a slow bulk is better than a fast one.