starting strength gym

Thread: Fluffy Female Geezling

Default Fluffy Female Geezling

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Jordan, would you mind elaborating on a comment you made in another thread about how IF can help solve the problem of a client who won't be systematic about diet?

I ask because I guess I'm that client. I'm running the novice progression right now as a 48 year old female, 5' 6" tall with a waist measurement of 35" (down from 37"). I lost the fat using IF and only eating at dinnertime.

I want to eat enough for good recovery but I'd also like to go down another inch or so on my waist since my dad died young from heart disease.

Since I started SS I added a whey protein smoothie at midday and started conciously eating more at dinner. The only counting I do is to try for around my bodyweight in grams of protein. So far I am getting heavier and stronger and not fatter but also not leaner. Waist size not budging.

If you had an annoying client like me who didn't want to count calories or fat or carbs, but was fine with intermittent fasting and counting protein, what would you tell them? (I won't be offended if the answer is 'I'd tell them to go bother someone else.')

I'm not actually lazy, just very busy and I cook for a family. Mediterranean diet, high in EVOO, moderate protein, moderate carbs is the family meal.

Thanks, Jess

I'd tell them to eat less fat and to not eat carbs in meals that don't precede or follow a training session. Or just track, because it really, really, really doesn't take much extra time.

I see this a lot, and I'm not trying to be a dick...but if you're already counting protein, how can it possibly take any more appreciable time to just count fat and Carbs. I'm guessing that this falls into one of two actual scenarios.

1: Not counting, just estimating protein

or

2: Counting protein, and fat, and carbs, but don't want to spend the time to adjust eating to hit specific carb/fat goals.

The first scenario is wildly inaccurate, you may think you're eating a certain amount, but you're probably not. The second, I can understand more than the first. Hey I prefer my burger and fries with Mayo too.

I agree.

Just a little side note on something that cought my attention:

Quote Originally Posted by JessEvans View Post
    So far I am getting heavier and stronger and not fatter but also not leaner. Waist size not budging.
    Are you measuring anything else except waist size? I mean, waist size can stay the same when you are getting stronger (and leaner or don't get fatter), as the core muscles grow. I know it happened to me.

Having spent a long time as a "just counting protein" person, I can say that scenario 2 was accurate for me. I'm now a month in to actual macro tracking and I've gotta say, I have been shocked by how much better and consistent my energy levels are, overall. No weight change yet, and verrrry small waist measurement change, but overall just feeling excellent. Based on my recent experience, I would highly recommend trying full tracking for at least two weeks before deciding it's not for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    I see this a lot, and I'm not trying to be a dick...but if you're already counting protein, how can it possibly take any more appreciable time to just count fat and Carbs. I'm guessing that this falls into one of two actual scenarios.

1: Not counting, just estimating protein

or

2: Counting protein, and fat, and carbs, but don't want to spend the time to adjust eating to hit specific carb/fat goals.

The first scenario is wildly inaccurate, you may think you're eating a certain amount, but you're probably not. The second, I can understand more than the first. Hey I prefer my burger and fries with Mayo too.
    #2 is me. Counting is easy, balancing the three numbers in a specific ratio is hard if you want to eat actual meals instead of measured quantities of disperate foods.

Jess - It does take a lot of time up front to get used to counting macros. But I bet you have only got about 10-20 stock family recipes. Once you have the ingredients for these entered into MyFitnessPal and saved as meals, it is really easy to pull them up and modify portions if necessary. You don't even have to do it all at once, just keep adding things to your food library as you have time.

For me daily meal plans are the easy way to hit my macros, especially when I'm busy. Do some work up front to lay out a few version of a daily meal plan you like and then the only food decision for the day is which plan to eat, no more tracking during the day.

starting strength coach development program
    Viola that is an awesome idea! I have been struggling so much with the time commitment while preparing family meals. This seems like an excellent way to dive in without having to take hours every day. It won't be a lot of time eventually, but the initial commitment is huge. Especially when coming for a picky toddler, an underweight husband, and breast feeding. Mom life.