starting strength gym
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sleep apnoea in lifters with good body composition

Default Sleep apnoea in lifters with good body composition

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Dear Jordan,

I've been enjoying listening to your podcasts but was somewhat surprised when you mentioned that you have OSA.
    Is this, in your experience, common in lifters as lean as you?. I know it's commonly touted that the risk increases once the neck is greater than around 17" but assumed that a degree of chubbiness was also required.

Thank you for your efforts putting out so much quality free information (and Austin too), it's appreciated.

John

It is now known that neck circumference tends to predict sleep apnea in children and adults:

Current Knowledge/Study Rationale: Clinical prediction of obstructive sleep apnea in children is difficult. Due to limited availability of overnight polysomnography, parameters have been suggested to help select candidates. In adults, neck circumference is a strong predictor, but normative data in children is limited.

Study Impact: Neck circumference-height ratio (NHR) can be a useful additional aid along with other predictors to predict obstructive sleep apnea in children. NHR > 0.25 places the odds ratio of apneahypopnea index > 2 at 3.47. This provides an inexpensive clinical tool to assist in triaging snoring children for confirmatory polysomnogram.
    and:

Nonetheless, cross-sectional analyses of the Sleep Heart Health Study data show that, in middle-aged and older adults, moderate to severe obstructive sleep apnea, as defined as an AHI greater than or equal to 15 events per hour, is independently associated with BMI, neck circumference, and waist circumference
    In one study there was actually a higher correlation (0.592=r) than BMI or bodyweight. As far as incidence of neck-related apnea....I'm not sure if we're speaking only of normal body fat folks what the incidence is.

Thanks,
    Do you think that neck circumference is particularly modifiable in the already lean lifter?. For example, do any of the basic exercises have a greater tendency than others to increase the musculature of the anterior neck?. Benching perhaps?.
    It's a general question from a barbell medicine perspective. I'm not 'asking for a friend' or anything like that!

I developed sleep apnea once I hit the 215-220 pound bodyweight range about 4 years ago. I'm a little over 6'1". My neck circumference is 17.5" and my bodyfat percentage is about 19% now. When I had my sleep study done, my AHI was 8 events per hour.

Since using a CPAP, I check the data weekly and my AHI now is less than 1.0 events per hour. The trouble is that I'm still removing my mask and putting it back on about 4-5 times a night, even though I've used it for two years. I still find it cumbersome.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnW View Post
    Thanks,
    Do you think that neck circumference is particularly modifiable in the already lean lifter?. For example, do any of the basic exercises have a greater tendency than others to increase the musculature of the anterior neck?. Benching perhaps?.
    It's a general question from a barbell medicine perspective. I'm not 'asking for a friend' or anything like that!
    I don't really think that there's anything to modify outside of total bodyweight, since anthropometry and anatomy kind of are what they are ya know?

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Since using a CPAP, I check the data weekly and my AHI now is less than 1.0 events per hour. The trouble is that I'm still removing my mask and putting it back on about 4-5 times a night, even though I've used it for two years. I still find it cumbersome.
    It's interesting you mention this. Technically, I have mild sleep apnea as well. My sleep doc told me that there really isn't a good solution for mild sleep apnea. The reason is because the treatment (CPAP) is usually just as disruptive to sleep as the apnea itself.

My ENT said any adult with neck circumference over 17", regardless of reason, was at high risk of sleep apnea. I know there was a study that showed a significant number of players in the NFL have sleep apnea. I'm 6'2" and 225 lbs. and I have it, but also have 17.5" neck.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I don't really think that there's anything to modify outside of total bodyweight, since anthropometry and anatomy kind of are what they are ya know?
    Have you always had OSA or did you develop it after joining team swole patrol?

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    Have you always had OSA or did you develop it after joining team swole patrol?
    I developed it after moving up a weight class.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I developed it after moving up a weight class.
    Maybe moving up another one will fix it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast