starting strength gym
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General Strength Training Template

Default General Strength Training Template

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hi Jordan,

You've posted this workout for scivation on your blog a while ago and while it never fully appealed to me due to it being very powerlifting-(and thus bench-)centered, I've always been intrigued and now gotten back to it through your nice TM, 531 comparison article.

I really like a lot about the setup like the usage of RPE, the preceding singles and the exercise frequency/slots. What I would like but somehow can't come up with by myself is how to incorporate the press more, without messing up the whole thing.

Do you have any suggestions/thoughts on how you would approach this? I guess replacing one of the bench workouts would be one solution but the question is which one.

I'd do Incline Bench on Day 1 and Press on Day 3 or just press on Day 3 depending on the level of anti-bro you wanna go

How long would you run this program? What variables would you adjust after the first month?

Ok cool thanks! So something like:

Workout 1
    Competition Squat x 1 @ RPE 8, 5 @ RPE 8 x 3-5 sets
    2 count Paused Bench (OR Incline Press) x 4 @ 7, 4 @ 8, 4 @ 9 x 3-4 sets
    Romanian Deadlift x 7 reps @ 6, 7 reps @ 7, 7 reps @ 8 x 4 sets

Workout 2
    Competition Bench x 1 @ RPE 8, 5 reps @ RPE 8 x 4-6 sets
    2 count Paused Squat x 4 @ 7, 4 @ 8, 4 @ 9 x 3-4 sets
    Press x 7 reps @ 6, 7 reps @ 7, 7 reps @ 8 x 4 sets

Workout 3
    Competition Deadlift x 1 @ RPE 8, 5 @ RPE 8 x 3-5 sets
    Press x 4 @ 7, 4 @ 8, 4 @ 9 x 3-4 sets
    Front Squat 7 reps @ 6, 7 reps @ 7, 7 reps @ 8 x 4 sets
    Dumbbell Incline Bench 8 reps @ 6, 8 reps @ 7, 8 reps @ 8 x 4 sets

Would you keep the 4 @ 7, 4 @ 8, 4 @ 9 x 3-4 sets layout for the press or change it to the 1 @ RPE 8, 5 reps @ RPE 8 x 4-6 sets?

I'm also curious on how I'm going to fare with that DL volume. Not counting the RDLs which shouldn't be a problem and since it's 3-5 sets of 5 @ "just" RPE 8 I guess it should be doable though.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I'd do Incline Bench on Day 1 and Press on Day 3 or just press on Day 3 depending on the level of anti-bro you wanna go
    I had another couple questions on that article if you don't mind. Would that same template be used each week, trying to increase the weight each week? For example, let's say I do the first week and my competition squat numbers for the first workout were like in the article; 460 x 1 @ 8, 405 x 4 sets of 5 @ 8, 8, 8.5, 9. Am I doing the exact same template the next week and just going for another single at RPE 8 followed by 3 - 5 sets of 5 at RPE 8? How long would you keep the progression like this?

The other question is on the GPP. You say 1-2 days a week for upper back work, isometric ab work and cardio/conditioning. If this routine was done Mon/Wed/Fri, would it be a good idea to do one of those GPP days on Wednesday (Seems like the easiest day of the 3) and another on Saturday? I assume if we wanted to do a few sets of direct arm work for the girls that would be ok on a Saturday too as long as you aren't spending too much time/energy on them.

Thanks in advance for the answers.

Quote Originally Posted by DodgerDog View Post
    How long would you run this program? What variables would you adjust after the first month?
    Depends how it's working for both. I'd probably run it for a month, take a lower volume week, then change the volume and intensity.

Quote Originally Posted by deeprooted View Post
    Ok cool thanks! So something like:

Workout 1
    2 count Paused Bench (OR Incline Press) x 4 @ 7, 4 @ 8, 4 @ 9 x 3-4 sets

Workout 2

Workout 3

Would you keep the 4 @ 7, 4 @ 8, 4 @ 9 x 3-4 sets layout for the press or change it to the 1 @ RPE 8, 5 reps @ RPE 8 x 4-6 sets?

I'm also curious on how I'm going to fare with that DL volume. Not counting the RDLs which shouldn't be a problem and since it's 3-5 sets of 5 @ "just" RPE 8 I guess it should be doable though.
    You could do either for the press, depending how much you wanted to prioritize it (the latter being higher priority). I think the pulling volume would be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftz View Post
    I had another couple questions on that article if you don't mind. Would that same template be used each week, trying to increase the weight each week?
    For an early intermediate, yes.

For example, let's say I do the first week and my competition squat numbers for the first workout were like in the article; 460 x 1 @ 8, 405 x 4 sets of 5 @ 8, 8, 8.5, 9. Am I doing the exact same template the next week and just going for another single at RPE 8 followed by 3 - 5 sets of 5 at RPE 8? How long would you keep the progression like this?
    You would do the same thing for a series of weeks- though how long is more of a general recommendation. Ideally you'd go up each week if possible. If not, we'd arrange it for progression every 2-3 weeks or longer.

The other question is on the GPP. You say 1-2 days a week for upper back work, isometric ab work and cardio/conditioning. If this routine was done Mon/Wed/Fri, would it be a good idea to do one of those GPP days on Wednesday (Seems like the easiest day of the 3) and another on Saturday? I assume if we wanted to do a few sets of direct arm work for the girls that would be ok on a Saturday too as long as you aren't spending too much time/energy on them.
    You could do them on training days or "off days". I wouldn't do arms on their own days- just do them w/ GPP.

Awesome, thank you for the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    For an early intermediate, yes.

You would do the same thing for a series of weeks- though how long is more of a general recommendation. Ideally you'd go up each week if possible. If not, we'd arrange it for progression every 2-3 weeks or longer.

You could do them on training days or "off days". I wouldn't do arms on their own days- just do them w/ GPP.
    I guess I'm having trouble figuring out where I fit on the intermediate-advanced spectrum. Currently I'm doing a conjugate style of training and I've been making progress but I'm just wondering if there is something better I could be doing. What do you use to determine if someone is intermediate vs. advanced? And if someone is at the higher intermediate or advanced level do you have any training routines or programming you'd recommend?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get as much info as I can.

I think I'm getting the genius of this program now so here's a quick first impression after the first couple of workouts:

After the longish and fairly taxing first exercise, the second one with the 4 rep sets and 2 count paused squats or benches takes a lot less time and is way less fatiguing as well. The paused reps are fairly slow and hard on their own but in total the sets are not as fatiguing as let's say a standard 5 rep set in SSLP or TM and therefore requires less rest between sets. Also since the weight is lower it requires fewer warmup sets, which when compared to the TM VD & ID where the warmup for all of the exercises take quite a bit of time, makes this more time efficient. The third exercise takes basically only some warmup with the empty barbell which can then be followed directly with the 7 reps @ 6 set. So all in all each workout takes me about the same time as the light day or intensity day on the TM which is around 90min.

Interestingly enough since only the first exercise is really even comparably as taxing as a VD exercise on TM, I at least feel well recovered and fresh after 48h and not like a wreck as after VD. You do feel sore during the workout because of the higher volume exercises but that dissipates rather quickly.

In total it seems very much like a 1 lift per day program (well, except for the press) with a well thought out rep scheme (using RPE effectively, a heavier single preceding the 5 rep sets,...) and a well thought out assistance exercise scheme to improve frequency and slots as discussed in your TM/531 comparison article while being very efficient on time despite the higher amount of volume.

=====

Btw. I had the thought that one might go for something similar to the TM weekly swapping of the press and bench if wanting to keep the press and bench work as equal as possible:

Week1:
    Workout 1
    2 count Paused Bench x 4 @ 7, 4 @ 8, 4 @ 9 x 3-4 sets

Workout 2

Workout 3

Week2:
    Workout 1
    2 count Paused Bench x 4 @ 7, 4 @ 8, 4 @ 9 x 3-4 sets

Workout 2
    Press x 1 @ RPE 8, 5 reps @ RPE 8 x 4-6 sets
    Touch n Go Bench Press x 7 reps @ 6, 7 reps @ 7, 7 reps @ 8 x 4 sets

Workout 3

In this example you'd have 2 bench, 2 press and 1 incline bench sessions each week with only a weekly swapping of the priority from bench to press and back on Workout 2. I guess alternatively one could also keep the original Touch n Go Bench on Workout 3 or do a weekly swap here as well. I guess this would be decent enough if one doesn't want to prioritize the bench over the press.

Quote Originally Posted by Swiftz View Post
    Awesome, thank you for the responses.

I guess I'm having trouble figuring out where I fit on the intermediate-advanced spectrum. Currently I'm doing a conjugate style of training and I've been making progress but I'm just wondering if there is something better I could be doing. What do you use to determine if someone is intermediate vs. advanced? And if someone is at the higher intermediate or advanced level do you have any training routines or programming you'd recommend?

Sorry for all the questions just trying to get as much info as I can.
    Well, I am not sure where you're at either since I don't know you- either biblically or as a lifter, but certainly anything non westside based is > westside training. Rate of adaptation is what I use to determine training level. Have you read Practical Programming?

Quote Originally Posted by deeprooted View Post
    I think I'm getting the genius of this program now so here's a quick first impression after the first couple of workouts:

After the longish and fairly taxing first exercise, the second one with the 4 rep sets and 2 count paused squats or benches takes a lot less time and is way less fatiguing as well. The paused reps are fairly slow and hard on their own but in total the sets are not as fatiguing as let's say a standard 5 rep set in SSLP or TM and therefore requires less rest between sets. Also since the weight is lower it requires fewer warmup sets, which when compared to the TM VD & ID where the warmup for all of the exercises take quite a bit of time, makes this more time efficient. The third exercise takes basically only some warmup with the empty barbell which can then be followed directly with the 7 reps @ 6 set. So all in all each workout takes me about the same time as the light day or intensity day on the TM which is around 90min.
    This has been my experience as well, though I admit there is a learning curve to doing the workout expediently.

In this example you'd have 2 bench, 2 press and 1 incline bench sessions each week with only a weekly swapping of the priority from bench to press and back on Workout 2. I guess alternatively one could also keep the original Touch n Go Bench on Workout 3 or do a weekly swap here as well. I guess this would be decent enough if one doesn't want to prioritize the bench over the press.
    I don't think there's any reason it wouldn't work, but I don't see the advantage to it either. I don't think the press responds well, strength wise, to TM style programming and if anything makes the press better for intermediate level lifters, it's probably getting their bench up (unless >1.5x BW and not underweight, in general). In that case, probably better for more frequency of press to get it to go up, but since we can't do everything at once- I'd just stick to prioritizing one (bench or press) per cycle.

starting strength coach development program
    How much rest between work sets? I find a pretty noticeable difference in RPE for a subsequent set between say 4 minutes rest vs 9 minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast