starting strength gym

Thread: Critique Recomp Diet

Default Critique Recomp Diet

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Hi Jordan,

I've been eating somewhat consistently over the last few weeks and would appreciate an opinion:

Background: I shoveled food down my gullet late last year trying to hit some lifetime strength goals. Now that those have milestones fallen, I'm interested in holding on to the gains, but trimming back the bodyweight. My ideal would be to hit some steady state body comp and strength wise, that I can hold for a while.

I prioritized my strength gains last year and need to put some other things first this year, so looking to be as time efficient as possible.

My body weight is 217, 29 years old male, current lifts 200/290/405/500

Current diet looks like this

Meal 1: Whey protein shake + 1 cup frozen raspberry + 1/4 cup coconut milk + 1/2 cup water (est 50g protein / 20g carb / 15g fat)

Meal 2: 1/2 pound meal (not always super lean), 1 cup rice, veggies

Meal 3: 1/2 pound meal (not always super lean), 1 cup rice, veggies

Meal 4: same as meal 1

Meal 5: Nuts, Veggies, Yogurt

Estimated Macros: 200-225g protein / 150g protein / 50-75g fat

I limit alcohol to 2-3 days a week, although admittedly, this is a new restriction.

Current cardio is 5mile walk 7x a week plus a boxing class 1x a week

My sense is that I am a) overeating for fat loss, and b) under exercising, as the very low intensity walking doesn't combined with the current diet doesn't seem to be doing much. Appreciate your thoughts.

How tall are you and what is your waist?

Look at me with the newb mistakes.

5'10/11 - I wear 34" waist jeans if thats accurate enough for shouting distance, but otherwise, I can get a precise measure asap.

Correction to orignal post - estimated macros 200-225 protein / 150 - 200 CARBS / 50 - 75 gat

Quote Originally Posted by jkolt View Post
    Look at me with the newb mistakes.

5'10/11 - I wear 34" waist jeans if thats accurate enough for shouting distance, but otherwise, I can get a precise measure asap.

Correction to orignal post - estimated macros 200-225 protein / 150 - 200 CARBS / 50 - 75 gat
    I guess I'm just not sure why you're recomping, you know?

Fair enough question. To be precise, my goal of 200/300/400/500 was actually a strength goal relevant to bodyweight 1x/1.5x/2x/2.5x. Not that I'm nearly 220, even though I hit those numbers, I feel like I moved the goal posts.

I'd like to intelligently lose some fat and hit these long term numbers at a 200lb bw in a meet environment if possible.

Fair enough question. To be precise, my goal of 200/300/400/500 was actually a strength goal relevant to bodyweight 1x/1.5x/2x/2.5x. Not that I'm nearly 220, even though I hit those numbers, I feel like I moved the goal posts.

I'd like to intelligently lose some fat and hit these long term numbers at a 200lb bw in a meet environment if possible.
    I'm just saying that you could be staring down 250/365/500/600 if you'd keep going

I hear you loud a clear, and I think that's sound advice.

However, what about the larger point of maintaining a certain weight class while trying to gain strength? I believe Rip said once that he would like to see you something like 50 lbs heavier than you are now / we're then (probably to optimize your total). If you're trying to stick with a current weight class or drop down one for a meet, how would you think about that nutritionally? Sounds like walking a razors edge even as I type it...

I hear you loud a clear, and I think that's sound advice.

However, what about the larger point of maintaining a certain weight class while trying to gain strength? I believe Rip said once that he would like to see you something like 50 lbs heavier than you are now / we're then (probably to optimize your total). If you're trying to stick with a current weight class or drop down one for a meet, how would you think about that nutritionally? Sounds like walking a razors edge even as I type it...
    So I think the benefits in the short term of attaining a good amount of strength the negatives for going up a weight class if still in the development phases for strength. Don't do what I did. It took me way too long to get strong.

Cool, will report back at 250/365/500/600 and we'll see just how much bw that requires

starting strength coach development program
    Cool, will report back at 250/365/500/600 and we'll see just how much bw that requires
    Excellent!