starting strength gym
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Metabolic syndrome, Ketogenic diet and SS

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    They get repleted by gluconeogenesis within about 24 hours. That's probably not why keto sucks for strength training TBH.
    Does gluconeogenesis work better when you're consuming carbs? I always thought that carbs = more glucose and more efficient conversion to glycogen. But I wasn't sure.

They get repleted by gluconeogenesis within about 24 hours. That's probably not why keto sucks for strength training TBH.
    I'll bite. Serious here. Why does keto suck for strength training? I guess I'm asking for clarification as to why the side effects happen.

Or more generally, could you expand on that please?

But why is it

Quote Originally Posted by marcf View Post
    Does gluconeogenesis work better when you're consuming carbs? I always thought that carbs = more glucose and more efficient conversion to glycogen. But I wasn't sure.
    I don't think you're better at making new glucose from non carbohydrate sources when taking in carbohydrates at a high level. Glycogen formation =/= gluconeogenesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemist View Post
    I'll bite. Serious here. Why does keto suck for strength training? I guess I'm asking for clarification as to why the side effects happen.

Or more generally, could you expand on that please?
    So, I think mainly there are a few things going on:

1) Decrease cals overall
    2) Decreased anaerobic fuel sources
    3) Alteration of intramuscular hydration
    4) Some intrinisic fatigue modulating properties of carbohydrates, perhaps

Got it. I was confusing gluconeogenesis with glycogenolysis when I wrote that.

Define successful.

Congrats on your success, man. That is cool!
    Haha, well if nothing else, he lost a good deal of fat and got beach ready. I can't speak for how much strength he may have lost. And thanks for the nice words. I'll never do Atkins again, but it was the right thing at the time. I was knocking on the door of a heart attack before 30 if I didn't lose some pounds.

Quote Originally Posted by DougC42182 View Post
    Haha, well if nothing else, he lost a good deal of fat and got beach ready. I can't speak for how much strength he may have lost. And thanks for the nice words. I'll never do Atkins again, but it was the right thing at the time. I was knocking on the door of a heart attack before 30 if I didn't lose some pounds.
    Yea I hear you man. I just think that most of the time, the objective body fat loss is far less impressive when measurements are taken.

Yea I hear you man. I just think that most of the time, the objective body fat loss is far less impressive when measurements are taken.
    define objective measurements, please, this isnt some kind of snarky request.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by MattJ.D. View Post
    define objective measurements, please, this isnt some kind of snarky request.
    DEXA, hydrostatic weighing, waist and hip measurements, etc. Those are objective.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12