starting strength gym

Thread: Recomp Macro alterations

Default Recomp Macro alterations

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    I'm currently a heavy intermediate cutting/recompositioning .....all numbers and ratio are based pretty much on "to be a beast" article. Which I must say has been rather brilliant.
    My usual macros are 280p/305c/85f

However before a recent Heavy day(currently using HLM) I decided to alter my macros to meet the demand for the following day.

So the night before I did 250p/400c/65f, you're
    Mentioned later on in the article for the "fluffy intermediate section".

The next day for the heavy session, although I
    managed to get all my numbers and hit target. I felt rather sluggish...I know we can't come to conclusion based on one day. However could lack of fats be responsible for this...?

Many thanks Jordan...
    P.s This is the only diet I have ever been able to follow while able to gain strength on my triples/doubles/singles

However could lack of fats be responsible for this...?
    Extremely unlikely.

Adjusting food to meet the demands of a single day is not a management strategy that I think is worthwhile.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Extremely unlikely.

Adjusting food to meet the demands of a single day is not a management strategy that I think is worthwhile.
    So you don't think it's better to alter macros, while staying in same calorie numbers to meet demand for a heavy day?

For example having more carbs lowering fats and protein the night before a heavy....? Will it make a difference in terms of recomping since the calories are pretty much consistent...but we just playing around with macros?

My main goal is strength retention/addition during fat loss process... I have been a intermediate for a long time definitely not a novice here

Quote Originally Posted by Ice-man View Post
    So you don't think it's better to alter macros, while staying in same calorie numbers to meet demand for a heavy day?
    No. It makes sense too, as fatigue induced performance alterations are not directly tied to food intake, particularly microvariations.

For example having more carbs lowering fats and protein the night before a heavy....? Will it make a difference in terms of recomping since the calories are pretty much consistent...but we just playing around with macros?
    I'm not sure what your question here is.

Great! That's perfect! Thanks for clearing the above up Jordan

Say I weigh 240. On Recomp diet and I would like to spice things up for a heavy day tomorrow! However we must stay withen our Recomp numbers 240x13 or 12.75.

Now I would like to maximize glycogen the night before heavy day so hypertheticlly I increase carbs from 300 to 380-400. Subsequently I must decrease protein, since carbs have protein(muscle) sparring properties what is the minimum you recommend amount of protein intake On this scenario.

Thanks

You don't come anywhere close to depleting glycogen stores on a heavy training day. I wouldn't modify nutrition for it. Keep doing the same thing.

What would fatigued performance be related to if not food intake?

Just interested for myself

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd90 View Post
    What would fatigued performance be related to if not food intake?

Just interested for myself
    Sleep, arousal, time from previous training, ambient conditions, accumulated fatigue/stress from environment.....ya know, everything.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Sleep, arousal, time from previous training, ambient conditions, accumulated fatigue/stress from environment.....ya know, everything.
    Neat little summary of why self assessment of performance can be very difficult.