starting strength gym

Thread: Speed athletes bodyfat

Default Speed athletes bodyfat

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    I know this probably not really a nutrition question but thought i would ask.

Suppose an prospective athlete(center fielder,wide reciever,pount guard)needs to be at a lower bodyfat for speed purposes do you adjust the program and nutrition? Would you still recommend they go through a novice progression with the major bodyweight gain needed to really drive the strength numbers and reaching ~15-17% bf and then lean back out or would you just keep at a leaner BF and switch programming sooner if they have to? It seems that a speed athlete like that would be faster at ~10-12% but I dont really know just wondering your take. Thanks

Too many variables in the question, e.g. stage in development, training background, etc.

Also, you suppose that 15-17% is "bad" for those positions when the reality is that if someone has been selected for that position based on other factors, 5% body fat doesn't make a damn bit of difference.

I think this type if thinking is archaic. If you look at NFL prospects at the WR and CB positions typically the bigger stronger athletes are favored at least to a point. You see plenty of 6'1" CBs at 180 but it seems to have no bearing on prospect status if they're 6'1" 205 if they're still fast enough. I'd argue that a prospect at 205 is substantially better equipped to withstand the rigors of a contact sport and better able to withstand bigger WRs than 180. Hell Brandon Browner was like 225 and he was a legit starting CB for a few years. If you run a 4.4 at 180 and a 4.45 at 205 you'd prefer to play at 205 I'm sure.

Personally I'm substantially faster at a much stronger 210 than I was at 170. Granted I was never very lean, but I think strength should be the main focus regardless.