starting strength gym

Thread: Can I Have a Do-Over?

Unhappy Can I Have a Do-Over?

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    So let me start by apologizing for being a terrible newbie to the forum. I should have read the sticky, I didn’t, and as a result made myself look like a jackass. Let me try to rectify that and try again.

I have spent the time going over the sticky and intro posts, read and re-read “To Be a Beast” and spent time searching and reading through the forum. I’ve gotten some answers (I think) based on people with similar situations, even talked to people on SS groups who "channeled their inner Feigenbaum", but I’d still love to hear YOUR actual take on my specifics. So here goes:

Sex: M
    Height: 6’1”
    Current Weight: 209lbs
    BF Estimate: 20-25% (I carry pudge in my gut and extra skin from my weight loss)
    Current Macros: Training Day 3100-3500cals (310C/271P/86F) Rest Day 2400-2700cal (240C/210P/66F)

Current Program: Novice
    Squat 225
    OHP 120
    Bench 215
    Deadlift 270
    20 min HIIT x3 (2 rest day mornings fasted, 1 after Friday workout)

Goals: Get strong, progress my lifts, hopefully maintain/gain a small amount but not get fat. I admittedly struggle with putting on weight (physcologically) because I was 315 pounds last July. The idea of slipping backwards messes with me, although I am aware in order to put on muscle I will need to gain some back, I just need to be pointed in a realistic direction, not some random guy on the internet yelling about the gallon of milk.

Typical Diet:
    Weekday Breakfast – 1 scoop of whey in water or milk, 1 cup oats, 1 sm banana
    Weekend Breakfast – 2-3 eggs, bacon, ¼ cup cheddar, salsa, 1 cup of oats/shredded wheat/cream of wheat, 1 scoop whey in milk/water

Weekday Lunch – 4oz chicken breast, 1 cup brown rice, ½ cup broccoli or similar
    Weekend Lunch – Similar, maybe a tuna sandwich on whole wheat instead of chicken

Weekday Dinner – Rest Days 4-6oz lean meats and a cup or two of fibrous veggies on rest days, Training Days might be 4-6oz lean meat with whole grain pasta, ½ sweet potato, or something carby and quick like a small pizza
    Weekend Dinner – similar, now that its warmer I grill/smoke more so occasionally a burger or sausage.

Snacks – Usually around 8am and 1pm, varies, Quest bars, lean meats, whey, jerky, peanut butter/bananas

Before Bed – alternates lately between either 1 cup non fat yogurt with some granola, or 1 cup non fat cottage cheese with 2-3 tbsp of peanut butter with a chopped up banana.

QUESTION(s)

How are these macros for my goals? Am I in a decent ballpark? What would you change?
    How much weight would you have a guy of my stats put on to gain OPTIMUM muscle?
    Anything you would change in my diet? Is the calorie cycling worth it or should I stick to a general average across the week?

Disclaimer: I realize I STILL am not in the required 25 post range, but to be fair you did put my original failure of a post through, so I’m trying again hoping you’ll spare me.

Thanks Jordan

The macros look okay. I would stop the conditioning for now. You probably have another 20-30lbs over your LP to put on and will have to cut after that.

The calorie cycling is fine.

Thank you and I appreciate the input... good to know I'm at least on the right track.

That said yesterday (and only 3 weeks in for the record) I had to dump the bar on my 4th rep for bench press @ 220. I'm not necessarily convinced it was an actual "stall" because my bench has been progressing nicely. I squatted 235 yesterday afternoon and had some discomfort/pain in my shoulder (I learned to squat high before SS, and I have been trying to focus on low, my flexibility kind of sucks) afterwards. I'm thinking it screwed my bench from the start, even though I gave myself a couple extra minutes of rest.

Any chance it nutrition could have been a factor? I had an early lunch yesterday (meetings) and the last time I had eaten was about 1:30, which was only a quest bar. Had some BCAA/creatine on the way home (about 3:30) and the lift/stall was probably about 4:45ish...

There is zero percent chance nutrition was a factor in that IMO.

Yeeeah I think I got it squared away on the SS Facebook group.

Pretty sure you won't be surprised when I tell you I screwed up how to set my weights when I started. I have decided to reset per the advice I got and start over. I created the environment for that early stall and I'm relearning before going full speed. Working on my felixibility issues, form, etc.

Thanks again for taking the time to give me you input though.

starting strength coach development program
    Very cool man. Good luck!