starting strength gym

Thread: Joint Health Question

Default Joint Health Question

• starting strength seminar april 2024
    • starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    Jordan,

I just re-read your supplement sticky as well as examine.com's write-up regarding Fish Oil. As I suspected there doesn't seem to be strong support that it is useful for "reducing inflammation". Is there anything you are aware of that would be beneficial for joints? (reduce pain, reduce inflammation, etc.)

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by silachoo View Post
    Jordan,

I just re-read your supplement sticky as well as examine.com's write-up regarding Fish Oil. As I suspected there doesn't seem to be strong support that it is useful for "reducing inflammation". Is there anything you are aware of that would be beneficial for joints? (reduce pain, reduce inflammation, etc.)

Thanks.
    Supplementally? Not really anything with a big enough effect size to suggest that people should take it, unfortunately.

Thanks Jordan!

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    Supplementally? Not really anything with a big enough effect size to suggest that people should take it, unfortunately.
    Jordan are you saying there are no supplements for pain and inflammation reduction out there? any thoughts on CBD oil? Curcumin?

What joints are you having problems with? If it's your knees the best medicine is squatting routinely to proper depth.

Quote Originally Posted by Dino View Post
    Jordan are you saying there are no supplements for pain and inflammation reduction out there? any thoughts on CBD oil? Curcumin?
    I'm saying there are no supplements that routinely improve pain scores or objective function for training with good enough evidence to recommend them widely.

All the earth-loving, natural foods vegans on my Facebook could probably write you a list of 50 foods that reduce inflammation naturally.

My shoulder gives me a bunch of trouble sometimes. I've taken Glucosamine mixes and fish oil and even noticed some difference after not taking them for a while, but then I ust said screw it a few months ago and stopped taking anything and interestingly enough I have had pain less often and to a lesser degree. I am not at all saying that those things made it worse, but rather than they did nothing and that thinking about it everyday probably made it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bolson32 View Post
    What joints are you having problems with? If it's your knees the best medicine is squatting routinely to proper depth.
    Fortunately not my knees.

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by George Christiansen View Post
    My shoulder gives me a bunch of trouble sometimes. I've taken Glucosamine mixes and fish oil and even noticed some difference after not taking them for a while, but then I ust said screw it a few months ago and stopped taking anything and interestingly enough I have had pain less often and to a lesser degree. I am not at all saying that those things made it worse, but rather than they did nothing and that thinking about it everyday probably made it worse.
    This.