starting strength gym

Thread: Recovery/programming questions.

Default Recovery/programming questions.

• starting strength seminar jume 2024
    • starting strength seminar august 2024
    • starting strength seminar october 2024
    Hey Jordan,

So I'm a little confused as to where I'm at right now in regards to intermediate prigramming. Just a bit of history about me, I'm 21 years old, 5'11" and 216 lbs. I first started my novice LP in February of last year. I ran that for a few months and then ran a HLM from August or so of last year until about a month ago. I've started on TM noe because I have competitive aspirations. I've been taking in 4400 calories a day, I was working a somewhat physically taxing job, but as of yesterday, my job is fairly sedentary. A couple weeks I was losing a pound or two, and this week I gained 3 pounds. I try to take in the same amount of macros everyday at 240/525/150 p/c/f.

Sometimes it's hard to know EXACTLY the amount I'm taking in when some foods aren't on myfitnesspal, not to mention other factors that affect the amount of calories I burn. I usually get 8 hours of sleep a night, sometimes 6 or 7 maybe a couple days a week. It just seems that on my lifts my form breaks down when it gets heavy, and I'm not sure if it's because I'm not recovering and it's too heavy, or if I just have shitty technique.

My lifts are:

Squat 365x5
    Bench 220x5
    Press 145x5
    Deadlift 385x5 (shitty technique)
    Power clean 175 5x3

I guess my question is, are these recovery conditions and programming sub-optimal for a guy with my situation? If so, what do you think would be the most optimal for me as far as recovery and programming? Thanks again for your time....

I guess my question is, are these recovery conditions and programming sub-optimal for a guy with my situation? If so, what do you think would be the most optimal for me as far as recovery and programming? Thanks again for your time....
    I mean, yea they are but what are you going to do? The most optimal recovery situation is one where you don't have to work, but I don't think that's going to happen for you or I.

Programming wise, you should know how I feel about Texas Method given the recent article on the topic.

From a technique standpoint, maximal loads test technique and if your technique isn't good, it's always going to break down. It depends how bad it is as far as what steps are next.

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan Feigenbaum View Post
    I mean, yea they are but what are you going to do? The most optimal recovery situation is one where you don't have to work, but I don't think that's going to happen for you or I.

Programming wise, you should know how I feel about Texas Method given the recent article on the topic.

From a technique standpoint, maximal loads test technique and if your technique isn't good, it's always going to break down. It depends how bad it is as far as what steps are next.
    Ok I will just keep posting videos of my technique and if TM doesn't work out than I will probably stick with HLM or the split routine model, while slowly gaining weight over time. And just recover and sleep as best as I can. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by jake272 View Post
    Ok I will just keep posting videos of my technique and if TM doesn't work out than I will probably stick with HLM or the split routine model, while slowly gaining weight over time. And just recover and sleep as best as I can. Thanks.
    I don't think your recovery is really compromised at all, but the real problem may be your programming since you're doing Texas Method...

When you say 4 day split in your article do you mean a 4 day TM or more of a heavy/light split? I am coming up on intermediate status again and just looking for clarification before I waste time.

Plan was to do
    Day 1
    Press intensity
    Bench volume

Day 2
    Squat volume
    Pulls light

Day 3
    Bench int
    Press vol

Day 4
    Squat int
    Heavy deadlift

Good point, I may just switch over to Starr HLM than....

starting strength coach development program
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Larousse View Post
    When you say 4 day split in your article do you mean a 4 day TM or more of a heavy/light split? I am coming up on intermediate status again and just looking for clarification before I waste time.

Plan was to do
    Day 1
    Press intensity
    Bench volume

Day 2
    Squat volume
    Pulls light

Day 3
    Bench int
    Press vol

Day 4
    Squat int